Hidden Secrets ~ A Jason McCann Love Story ~

Start from the beginning

“I don’t think we are giving jobs…” She mumbled tapping her chin, “Wait right here, I’ll check with the manager.”

I nodded quickly and the girl left the counter, and slipped into the back room. My eyes flickered to the window and saw a huge, towering, grey building. Just looking at it gave me the shivers. I stepped forward so I could get a better view of the building. The sign plastered at the front of it said in big bold letters, “Las Vegas County Jail”. I felt shivers crawl up my spine and I has to rub my arms. Just then, the girl was standing in front of me again and I jumped up, frightened.

“Oh, sorry, are you okay?” She chirped worriedly.

“I’m fine, thanks for asking,” I told her, “So, is there a job here?”

“Actually, no. He said that there was a job over there,” She advised me, pointing at the Las Vegas Jail.

“Oh…” I began, but then faltered. A jail. Well, it can’t be all that bad. I need the money for Tyler, I need the money for us. I gulped and I felt my palms grow sweaty.

The girl frowned. “I’m Charlotte. What’s your name?”

“I’m Naomi. Thanks for trying to help.”

“Its no problem,” Charlotte beamed, “I can’t believe I made a friend! Come by anytime, anytime at all!”

I cracked a smile at her energetic self and agreed. “Sure. I’m going to go check out that job offering.”

“Really? Well, I think you’ll get it, they have been very desperate for someone. I think its like errand running or something like that. You know what? You should come over here when your done getting everything sorted out kay, Naomi?” Charlotte gibbered.

“Right,” I told her giving her a small wave. I stepped outside and almost ran to The Jail. Ha, I made my own friend. It actually felt kind of nice, even though Charlotte was more like someone you spoke to while waiting in line at CVS or something like that.

I approached the huge building.

It took all my will power to go up to it. Each step I took was heavy and my shoulders felt like there was at least a ton on them.

I stared at the entrance and with all my strength, pushed the intercom button. Then regretted it. Before I could walk away, a voice came booming out of the speakers.

“Las Vegas Jail, how may I help you?” The voice said, huskily.

“Hi, I was told that there where some jobs available here?” I said trying to sound as business like as I could.

There was a long pause but finally the large steel door clicked open. I reached to pull them open and I saw a dark hallway, lighted with only a row of dim lights. It was definitely not my place to be. I gulped and thought about Tyler and how he needed me, how he needed the money. I took this into thought and went on, shutting the door behind me, making the whole building echo.

I looked to my right and saw a door that was labeled ‘Lincoln’. I knocked on the door hesitantly and a the same voice form before bellowed, “Come in!” I entered reluctantly and there sat a man behind a desk wearing a police uniform. He looked like he was in his late forties. His name was, obviously, Lincoln. He was the head security guard and in charge of the jobs. The job that they where offering was someone who did the errands, exactly what Charlotte had said. The pay was pretty good, so I got the job. Apparently, they where very desperate, desperate enough to hire a sixteen year old. Lincoln told me that I could start right then and there. The first job I was to do was to clean the halls. That wasn’t so bad, it was expected actually. He gave me a bucket, broom and a sponge. He assigned me some halls to clean, and I thanked him.