King-Wolf

The trees were eerily standing in the dark forest, swaying to the whistling tune of the wind. The surroundings were so dark, so cold, that it would even give the fiercest of monsters a chill down their spine. This setting, this backdrop, this atmosphere has been, will be there for eternity. God chose this as the place for where all hell would be unleashed. The shadows watching knew that.

Out of this forest emerged a tall, sinister, shaggy figure. He was holding something, that was shaped like a body... it was a body. The person holding the body (though I am not completely sure if 'person' is the right word to use) was the king. He was dragging the corpse across the rotted leaves piled up along the forest floor. The king then stopped and started digging a hole. Once he finished he let out a huge growl, which was followed by a change on his body. The large mounds of wispy hair disappeared, He grew smaller, and the growl changed to a shriek. The pain became visible on his face. His fear and his anger became visible on his face. He was a werewolf. He made his first kill.

Roman Vasilesky was on his way to Transylvania. He heard there was a good market for weapons, so was moving there to make a living as a blacksmith. He was starting a new life, moving away from the pain, away from the death, the horror. He was moving away from the place where his family died. But Roman tried not to think about that too much though. Roman had heard some things about Transylvania, but thought he was capable enough of handling himself, as he was a master swordsman. Little did he know that the trouble awaiting him was a lot more than stopping a few thieves.

It was starting to get dark, so Roman decided to camp in the forest. He went to collect some wood for a fire, but struggled to see in the night sky and tripped over something. As his eyes adjusted to the light, he realised... it was a dead body!

The king rushed back to the castle, in fear somebody would notice him. He managed to his room without anybody seeing him. He pondered over what had happened. He could only faintly remember what had happened. He went hunting one day, and after a long absence, his knights searched for him and found him lying on the floor eyes closed. He regained consciousness on the trip back and seemed fine since. But he must have been attacked by a werewolf. And now he was one himself. If the country found out, they would get rid of him. All the people who he tortured and made suffer under his reign would ridicule him, or worse. The only reason he lasted this long was that he had his knights protection, but even they would desert him if this was discovered. But, he could use this to his advantage. Anybody who speaks back to him, he could kill them without anybody knowing it was him... he was supreme now.

Roman woke up the next day, still slightly shocked after the previous day's events. He chucked the dead body in a nearby river, in case he caught a disease or it attracted any dangerous animals. Finally he reached the main village of Transylvania, and found the mob of villagers all distracted by their usual routine of buying, selling, and chatting. Finally a woman, not the cleanest, but still very attractive spotted him and shouted "a newcomer!"Everybody became silent and turned their attention towards him. The woman was fairly tall, with reddish hair and blue eyes. "Who are you?" she enquired. She seemed very confident. "Roman Vasilesky...and you?" She paused, still not entirely sure whether to give her name to this complete stranger. Finally she replied "Anna Marco", in her thick Italian accent. "And you are here because?"Roman wasn't intimidated. "I heard there were jobs in Transylvania for blacksmiths. Then again I also heard the people here were very welcoming, so I may be incorrect." Another pause... then out of nowhere, Anna took out her sword, and delivered a brutal slash towards her opponent. But Roman was ever ready, and blocked it. In fact, the peasant girl, kept throwing many attacks to Roman, but he kept expertly dodging or intercept each one. The crowd were in utter disbelief. Nobody had ever been able to match to Anna when it came to using a sword, not even the men! Eventually they stopped and Anna, along with the others, gave Roman a look of complete astonishment. She immediately huddled with a group of men and started discussing. "The first one to match Anna, he can do It." said one. "Are you sure he's able, fighting is one thing, but leading us?" another whispered. "I don't trust him, he'll probably take all the gold for himself. " Finally Anna gave her verdict. "He won't, I saw it in his eyes, and he's pure." It seemed this maiden was well respected. When they finally agreed on it, they converted their attention back to Roman. As expected Anna spoke;

"For almost six years now, we have been suffering; we have lost friends, all our hard earned money has gone to taxes. We have had enough. And all this is because of the king. The selfish, ruthless king. So, we have decided to well, to get rid of him." A sly grin grew on Anna's face. "However, we need somebody to lead us. From what we have just witnessed you could be that one." After yet another long silence, Roman answered; "I accept. But let me ask one thing, you seem perfectly able of leading these people. So why me?" Anna reacted immediately. "I can't do it by myself!" Roman was confused. "You're going to come with me?"The girl was feisty. Roman liked that. "Well O.K then. I suggest a group of your strongest fighters go to distract the knights, while we hunt down the king." And that was about to be that when strangely the mobs diverted to something...someone else. The mass of people split apart to make way for the savaged man crawling across the floor towards Roman and Anna....

"Vladimir? What happened?" This man was a close friend to Anna, and she was struggling to keep a brave face. Vladimir was choking on every word, barely managing to get them out. "S..Sorry. N...N...N.....Need money for family." Anna was by his side, trying to stop his bleeding and wiping his tears. "King....werewolf." And those were his last words. Roman looked straight at Anna, looked at Vladimir, then bellowed "People of Transylvania...This is war!"

Anna and Roman were in the forest, late at night, with only flame torches as light. In the distance, there were the sounds of howling dogs. It seemed they knew a disaster would soon strike. They pieced together what Vladimir said, and came to the conclusion that the king has become a werewolf. They then went to the forest to find the only weapon that could destroy the king, the blood of a deer. If they could inject it into his bloodstream, not only would it make him human again, but it would also kill him. They were talking in the meantime. "So why did you come here?" Anna asked. "I told you, to become a black..."Anna cut Roman off,"Why did you really come here. Why did you leave where you were before? Trust me know one ever comes to Transylvania for no reason."Roman was reluctant to reply, but was very fond of Anna, and believed she could trust her, so he told his story;

"Well... back in Bulgaria, you could say a similar event happened to me. Like yours, my king was also corrupt. In fact his greed became so much that he started stealing any money we made. He sent people to come round our houses, and take our money for himself. But my father was a fighter. He refused. So the king brought his men to kill us. I saw him kill each one of my family. They brutally massacred my little brother, my father, my, my mother. Somehow, I managed to escape, and I started travelling from country to country and learnt how to fight. I grew up and was I got lead here. But I swore to myself that if anything like this happened again, I would fight for the good!"

Anna really admired his bravery and strength."Roman... I lov..."The fire in the torches went out. She didn't get to finish her sentence as a monstrous figure jumped from a tree and knocked over Anna. She screamed in agony. The king had arrived.

Roman drew his sword but the half-human king had the peasant girl in his hand and threatened to crush her if Roman came any nearer. The Bulgarian was furious and demanded an explanation for what had happened to Vladimir. The King gave the explanation. "Hahaha. HAHAHAHA! This girl's friend here is a traitor."He was pointing towards Anna, who had fear in her eyes. "He came to me seeking money by telling me of your plan. So I let him tell me... But he wouldn't get any money no, I killed him; lucky for you he survived long in enough to tell you my little secret. May I say how evil, how disgusting, how diabolical you are? Plotting against the king, and you call me evil. Oh no, you must pay."

And he evolved in to his wolf form. His thick hair grew all over, his devastating claws came out, and his eyes could kill. While this happened, he didn't notice the peasant girl slip out of his grip, and run in to hiding. Roman had begun his battle. The king attacked first, swiping at Roman, but he just managed to avoid it. He had to keep dodging, trying to tire out the werewolf, but his efforts were fruitless. The king would not stop. Finally Roman tried to deliver a blow. But he was caught out. The king caught his sword and pushed it down, sending Roman on the floor with it. Just as it seemed he was about to kill Roman once and for all, Anna came out from behind and stabbed the king werewolf. Normally, this would have had no effect, but the tip of the sword had deer blood on, which Anna caught while she ran away. Everything seemed to come to a standstill. Then time resumed and the vicious werewolf crumbled to dust. Anna was relieved. Everything was O.K.

"Roman, I done it, we done it! Thank you so much, I am forever indebted to you for helping my village. She had tears of joy in her eyes. She didn't want Roman to see her crying so looked away. When she wiped away her tears, she turned around. Roman was dead. It couldn't be true. But it was. Roman was dead. When he fell down with his sword, the sword landed in his heart. Roman was dead. The tears of joy in Anna's eyes became tears of sorrow. Roman was dead