The Almost Kiss (pic of Brent)

So I just reread this story and to be honest I don’t think its my best work, usually I’m really descriptive and but this just feels so rushed and simple (not to say simple stories aren’t good but it’s not me). Ugh, it’s true what they say, “You are your own worst critic.” Anyways, here is the next chapter…hopefully it is better. I tried to take more time instead of just putting something out just to get it out there.  Thanks again for all the support, you guys make this girl smile : )

Chapter 5

Sam’s POV

After our little heart to heart, Brent and I started up the Xbox again, getting lost in killing some zombies. After dying for the sixth time in the row, I gave up and let Brent continue the game without me. I sat there mulling over the days events. I honestly don’t know how I am going to deal with going to camp with Kayli. A part of me was excited at the prospect of spending more time with her, while the other part was jealous of the idea of her being surrounded by all these guys.

And God that new makeover, she was beautiful before but now she was downright gorgeous. My little “friend” practically leapt out of my pants when I saw her. Her cobalt eyes were more pronounced, almost piercing when she looked at me. Her high cheekbones were more exposed, showing off her perfectly angular face.

And those lips, full and luscious, how many times have I dreamt of those lips? Overall, the haircut seemed to magnify her already appealing features. It took all my willpower not to jump off the couch and kiss her, the only thing that stopped me was her smartass comment.

Sam stop freaking thinking about her, I mentally berated myself. Brent was right, it would only end with someone being hurt. And I knew that person would be me, because no matter what, I could never hurt her. I would rather die a hundred deaths then to let any real harm come to her. Taking a deep breath I smelled an intoxicating scent wafting from the kitchen. Hmm, smells like Charlie must be cooking because there was no way in this lifetime that Kayli could be responsible for that mouthwatering scent. My girl was perfect but when it came to cooking, I learned early on that the best she could do was pour you a bowl of cereal.

“Hey man I’m going to go get a drink, you want anything?” I said heading towards the smell.

“Nah dude I’m good, thanks.” replied Brent, not bothering to take his eyes off the television.

As I rounded the corner I could hear Kayli and Charlie’s voices, her sweet laughter ringing back in my ears. A surge of jealousy shot through me, Charlie had always had such an easygoing relationship with Kayli. I wanted to be the one to make her laugh, her confidante, to have her look at me like I was one of the most spectacular people in the world. But it was impossible, she would only look at me with disdain and annoyance because to her I would always be the cocky man-whore.

I know what you’re thinking, why don’t I just show her who I really am? The guy that wants to be with her, protect her, who loves her with every fiber of his being. If I’m completely honest I’m just plain scared, not just for how it would affect my relationship with Brent, but the fact that it would give her the power to break me. If she ever discovered my true feelings and rejected me, it would shatter me. The heartbreak would be more than I could take and something I would probably never fully recover from.

So being the coward that I am, I rather live in the world of what if’s and daydreams, content with loving her from afar. I’m pathetic, I thought bitterly as I shook my head at my own lameness.  Kayli’s angry voice pierced the air, bringing me out of my self-deprecating thoughts…

 “What do you freaking mean by that?” she said, her tone angry and accusatory.

“I’m not stupid K, I know what he did to you. And the boy was a freaking idiot, you shouldn’t believe any of that BS that he fed to you!” Charlie retorted, almost as angry as she was.