23 Motive

Jane could hardly believe the words that had just come out of Levi's mouth. Since the first time she'd learnt about this curse this is the only time she'd heard someone mention anything about breaking it.  

She was so shocked she dazedly asked, "Come again?" 

Levi, began rummaging around the laundry room for his car keys, "Luke's found the Altamura witch, or at least one of them. And because our curse is so old and so powerful, it can only be undone by the one who put it there. We find the family, we find the witch." 

Jane frowned, but nodded anyway and started following Levi out the door, when he suddenly stopped and she nearly stacked into him. He looked at her over his shoulder a confused look on his face as he questioned, "What do you think you're doing?" 

Jane just gave him a pointed look, "I'm coming with you, genius." 

He turned around and faced her with his arms folded across his chest, "Is that so?" 

Jane nodded, stubbornly before she suddenly remembered a very crucial detail and felt her face flaming bright red as she winced, mortified, "I need pants." 

Levi pointed to a spot behind her head, "I think Erin left a few of her clothes over there, she may have some jeans or something." 

Following his direction, Jane riffled through a small pile of Anouchka's clothes and found the shortest pair of jeans she could find. She'd have to roll them up at the ankles but it was all she had at the current moment. Gesturing for Levi to turn around, he did so with a sigh and as she shrugged the jeans on. As she did so it came to her attention that she hadn't seen Anouchka since that night she was waiting tables for Wendy and that was a week ago. 

Voicing her thoughts she asked Levi, "Where is she by the way, I haven't seen her since Luke went all crazy." 

"She's skipped town. It's too dangerous for both her and Luke to be around each other. That's why he was banished from the pack lands in the first place..." Levi trailed off with a laugh, "Before he lost himself to his wolf, Luke made me swear to keep her safe from him. Believe it or not but he was a good guy once." 

Coming over to his side, Jane gently squeezed between her mate and the doorway as she muttered, "I don't doubt that." 

It had been the same for Clare. Before she'd been rejected. Jane didn't remember too much about her mother's nice phase but from what she'd heard she wasn't as evil as she'd ended up.  

Leaving the apartment and the complex, Jane sought out Levi's car in the darkness and as she found it, tried to rub warmth back into her arms as she waited for him to open the car. But to her annoyance he wasn't. 

Turning to look at him she saw him standing there as though he was deep in thought. She didn't want to interrupt whatever internal conflict he was experiencing but she'd be damned if she nearly froze to death waiting for him - again. 

"Mind opening the door?" Jane spoke through chattering teeth, "It's a little chilly out here." 

He seemed startled as though he'd forgotten she was there and he started making his way closer before his expression took on a look of confusion, "Hang on a second. When did I say you could come with me?" 

Jane tapped her chin feigning deep pondering, "If I recall it was directly after we were talking about how awesome I was and how I really didn't need someone dictate what I can do and where I can and can't go." 

His eyes narrowed at her, "I don't think it's all that safe for you to be coming. Who knows what this descendant is going to be like." 

Jane sighed, her breath making clouds of mist in front of her as she continued standing out in the cold, "Fine. You win, I'll go back inside."