Chosen - chapter forty-eight

Chapter Forty-Eight

I awoke to the sounds of someone somewhere hammering. The sound resonated throughout my chamber and vibrated to my core. I closed my eyes and attempted to fall back asleep. Unfortunately, it didn't happen.

I drug myself out of bed and threw on a cover. Near the bow of the ship a large, wooden structure stood. It had not been the day before.

"Good morning, Lady Joselyn." Charles waved a hammer at me.

"What are you doing, Captain Featherstone?" I crossed my arms and tapped my barefoot at him.

"Building another surprise for the soon-to-be newlyweds!"

"This early in the morning?" I asked.

"I would like it to be done for the wedding."

I shook my head and returned to my chamber. Slipping into bed, I tried to fall back to sleep yet again. Failing, I climbed back out of bed and dug through my gowns for a decent day dress. I opted for a black gown with a silver skirt and bodice. The trumpet sleeves were black fur, which was perfect for the cold morning. The inner sleeve was silver to match the bodice and skirt. Pearls lined the squared neckline and the waistline, down each side of the outer gown. It was a favorite of mine.

I slipped the hidden blade contraption on my arms and strapped a dagger to each thigh. I finished off my outfit with a velvet black hat sporting a large white feather.

I left the ship and the banging behind me. The town seemed so quiet compared to the prior day. The stalls were closed, and the people slept. The only sounds I could hear were a blacksmith hammering in his shop somewhere, the familiar clang of metal on metal resounding between the houses and the clicking of my shoes on the cobblestone. A light lit up the baker's house as he bustled about preparing loaves to sale for the day.

I ventured to the outskirts of town, looking at the tree-lined road beyond. I sucked in a deep breath of the foggy, dreary air and continued with my stroll. I passed a few farmhouses where the farmers were leaving their warm beds to tend to their chores. Cows mooed, pigs grunted, chickens clucked, and horses whinnied for their master to feed them. A field of sheep and lamb seemed to stretch on forever next to a particularly lovely house a bit further down the road. I stopped for a moment to watch a few lambs bound across the grassy knoll. I slowed as I neared an open field. I turned my head toward the forest lining the back of it and stared.

Did I see someone?

Perhaps it was my eyes playing a trick on me, but I swore a dark figure ran from the woods and disappeared. I walked into the tall grass and stared.

Nothing.

My heart sped up as I scanned the area for any signs of movement. I listened intently, trying to find anything out of the ordinary. Nothing could be heard except the wind whistling through the trees and the occasional belt of a sheep or lamb.

"Haven't I taught you better, Joselyn?" a deep, velvety voice called to me.

My heart dropped to the pit of my stomach and bounced around as Jonathan's voice drifted of the bending stalks of grass.

It can't be him. He's in prison.

"You should learn who you can and cannot trust. Poor Francis and Claude. To believe that you blamed them!"

"Where are you?" I called over the tall grass.

"You can't find where my voice is coming from? That's a disappointment."

"If it wasn't Francis or Claude, who released you?" I asked.

"Do not worry of that. Soon you will not have to worry about anything any longer."