Ch. 28: The Shape of Us

Quinn's POV:

"Quinn."

I slowly woke and found that the pressure on my uninjured shoulder that I fell asleep with was no longer there. I opened my eyes fully and saw that my wife was seated in a chair next to my hospital bed, her arms folded on the edge of the mattress with her head resting on her arms. My lips fell into a frown, knowing how uncomfortable that position must be for her but I've never been able to keep an unhappy mood around her. The ends of my mouth curled up into a small smile when I saw that even in slumber she still held my hand securely in her own.

I tried to reach across my body to move away the hair that was draped over her face with my right hand but a sharp pain shot through my body and I cringed in response, falling back to my original position. I sighed in defeat and, instead, slowly pulled my left hand out of hers then proceeded to clear the stray hairs from her face. I let my hand wander to her soft cheeks and ever so gently ran the back of my fingers over the healing wound.

My mind flashed back to a few nights ago when my father and Alexis attacked us. A small part of me always wished that I would be able to mend my relationship with my father but it seems like that was impossible dream. He has tried to kill me twice already, each resulting in injuring or killing two people who mean the world to me. Never again will I allow him to do that.

"Quinn, you okay?" Nessa's sleepy voice reached out to me, pulling me from my thoughts.

"Good morning." I greeted with a small smile as I stroked her cheek once again. "I'm fine. I was just thinking."

"What's on your mind?" She questioned as she sat up and placed a light kiss on the back on my hand.

"Nothing much." I paused, knowing I should just speak my mind. "I was just thinking about my past and how I don't want to let it affect my future any longer."

She squeezed my hand and offered me a small smile. She didn't need to say anything, that small act of support was enough for me.

"Are you hungry?" She asked after a few moments.

"A little bit." I admitted.

"I'll go get you some breakfast." She stood up and kissed my forehead.

I tilted my head up, signaling to her that I wanted her to kiss my lips, and she happily granted my request with a small chuckle before leaning down. The kiss was sweet and tender as she let her hand gently rest on my jaw while her thumb slowly grazed across my cheek. But all too quickly she pulled away.

"One more?" I asked, my voice escaping quietly due to the dryness in my throat.

She let out a chuckle before obliging to my request and connecting our lips again. This time letting her lips linger against mine longer. Eventually she pulled away and kissed my forehead with a smile.

"I'll be right back." She said before leaving the room.

I sighed and leaned back wishing this healing process would be quick and easy, although it didn't hurt to have Nessa looking after me.

Knock. Knock.

I turned my attention to the door expecting to see the nurse but instead I met the eyes of two men dressed in local police uniforms.

"Hello Ms. Owens. I'm Officer Sullivan and this is my partner Officer Crawford." The policeman introduced. "We would like to ask you some questions about the incident."

"It's actually Mrs. Harrison now." I corrected flashed my left hand up to them.

"Oh, our apologies." Officer Crawford said politely. "Mrs. Harrison may we begin with the questions?"