Chapter 2 - The City That Never Sleeps

           Holly

"Just wait outside. I'm going to close up the shop," Blake said.

I stood on the street, my tired arms loaded down with mine and Adrian's bags as Blake flitted inside the café, flipping the light switches off, shutting down the machines, and locking up the cash register. Five minutes passed and I felt Blake's comforting hand slide into my own.

"This way," we crossed the road.

The screech of metal against metal grinded against my eardrums; I cringed, instinctively letting go of Blake's hand to cover my sensitive ears.

A female, electronic voice penetrated my hand-made earmuffs, "Doors opening."

I tilted my head back, searching for the source of the monotonous voice. Black subway tracks hovered over us; supported by corresponding metal columns.

Blake reached for my hand, "C'mon, the A Line will be here any second."

We rushed up the charcoal painted stairs and a yellow metro card emerged from Blake's pocket. He slid it through the scanner as he easily strode through the turnstile. He gave me the metro card and I did my best to copy his motion. I slid it through the scanner and then... got stuck. I couldn't move! Stupid bars! Blake laughed lightly and pulled me through.

As we weaved through the crowd, Blake pried, "Have you ever been on a subway?"

I shook my head negatively.

He chuckled, "This is gonna be fun."

The A Line came shortly, "Doors opening."

Blake dragged me toward the train. All the blue plastic seats were filled with people of different colors, shapes, and sizes and more people poured in through the other portals. Blake promptly seized one of the metal poles.

"Grab a pole," Blake demanded, but I was too busy examining the fascinating posters covering the train walls to listen.

"Doors closing."

"Holly, grab a pole!"

"Wha-"     

The train lurched forward, knocking me off my balance. I would've fallen if Blake hadn't caught me.

"Tourist," a passenger sniggered.

I blushed furiously as Blake's arms wrapped around my waist and he pulled me close to him; "Please listen when I tell you to do something," he murmured into my hair.

I had finally gotten accustomed to all the lurches and I stood across from Blake gripping the metal pole. The train stopped, permitting three more passengers to climb aboard the over-crowded train. The new passengers were three African American men who wore tattered suits and battered fedoras. They all took off their fedoras and placed them on the floor in front of them. Then they did something that surprised me. They began to sing.

The middle man was the lead singer while the others hummed the background music and snapped and clapped. Their voices were incredibly euphonious. A few people went up and dropped loose change into their hats. A little girl with adorable pigtails waddled up to them and contributed a dollar bill. One of the men granted her a toothy smile causing her to giggle in delight. These men were truly awe-inspiring. I sighed; I wish I had some money to donate. Apparently, Blake had noticed the way I was watching them.

He thrust a ten-dollar bill in my direction, "Here."

I extended my arm to take the money, but then recoiled, "Are you sure?"