Chapter 1.

"We don't meet people by accident. They are meant to cross our paths for a reason."

6 months later

"So guys... okay na ha... that's it. Do you have any questions?" Dr. Nadine Santos, the Chief Quality Officer of the Quality Department of St. Luke's MedicalCenter in The Fort, asked once more. "Technically we have approximately... Drei? Ilang buwan na nga lang?"

"Exactly six months, Ma'am!" Drei responded after glancing at her notes.

They were called to an emergency meeting at noon at the board room next to their office. It was just right after the executive committee meeting their boss had attended along with the rest of the Administrative Officers. Their hospital was going for another JCIA accreditation and they have six months to get it all together.

The rest of the team let out a distressing sigh. Though they have been through this before and have succeeded in being the first hospital in the Philippines which has been accredited by JCIA, with only six months to prepare, Drei knew that it wouldn't be any less grueling. In fact, it seems that they will be having more difficulties this time. It's like being hurled into war without the right weapon.

"I know this is such a short notice, guys but I know we can do this okay?" Doc Nadine appeased them and they all agreed. After all, they didn't have a choice. "Kahit ako din naman, I was surprised... kaya natin ito ok?"

Drei felt the surge of pressure slowly igniting. She knew this would keep her busy on the coming days. As soon as the meeting adjourned, they all headed out for lunch and it was already two o'clock.

"Ayyy naku.. grabe six months lang! Grabe naman sila Doc!" Rachel, her officemate complained as soon as they were seated at McDonald's across the street. "Naku naku talaga, Drei! Pressure galore na naman tayo!"

"Kahit din naman si Doc Nadz eh, pressured din siya," Tessa, another one of her officemates, imparted. "Just imagine, she was in the executive meeting kanina pang 9:00 am tas nakalabas sila noon time na!"

"Puwede bang mamaya na natin pag-usapan yan? Mag order muna tayo..." Drei cut in looking at her two companions. "The usual lang ba kayo? Ako na lang ang pipila."

Both of them nodded.

***

After consuming 10 minutes of their lunch break debating on where to eat, Alex and his team finally settled with McDonald's which was just around the corner from their building. The caffeine in his system was already wearing off and he was getting grouchy and not to mention, hungry. McDonald's was packed despite the fact that it was past lunch time already. Alex asked one of his team members to look around for a seat while the rest of them stood in line at the counter for their orders. They were all blabbing about the day's work and Alex was bombarded with questions left and right about how well they were performing.

'Call center people! Man! The English!', Drei thought as she overheard the people behind her talking.

"Ang tagal naman!" Alex murmured to himself as he glanced at the line in front of him, which obviously wasn't moving at all.

There were two people ahead of him who were also getting impatient with the customer who was being served at the moment. Then out of the blue, he smelled a familiar scent. He leaned a bit closer to the girl in front of him. She was wearing a grey suit and a pencil cut skirt. Her hair was tied in a ponytail and she had her glasses on. It was her. And he took another whiff of her scent.