For Ever

Chapter One - Broken Down

There was a knocking at the door.

Barely moving a muscle, I called out in my cracking, sore voice; "Come in"

Slowly, I saw the door knob turning and the door slightly opening.

As the gap widened it revealed two police officers.

"Ever Selway?" one of them asked, peering into the darkness.

"Yeah"

"I'm sorry to inform you that-

"Yeah i know. We have a t.v."

That seemed to throw the police officer.

He stuttered and tried to find a word for a couple of seconds before recovering.

"I'm sorry for your loss. Is your mum-

"Dead."

Again, he looked like an idiot.

Fuckwit

i thought.

"Ok well can you come with me into the station, where they can ask you a few questions and we can figure out whats going to happen."

"Whatever" i replied sleepily and stood slowly.

"Breakfast?"

"I already ate." i lied. It was easy and natural. It was the lie i'd told at least one person at least once a day ever since i was nine. Seven long years of near starvation.

I followed them into the cop car where they were playing one of the radio stations with the shitty new music. The new music that had no meaning, no purpose, just loud, annoying lyrics.

The trees and cars going past all blurred into one, as I fought to keep the tears out of my eyes.

Again, something i'd done about once a day for a while now, Simply for the reason that i didn't want pity, and i didn't want the crushing feeling of crying at school and finding out that no-one cared. something i did not need to be reminded of.

"So how's school been lately?" asked the police.

Typical.

"Moral destroying, Patronizing, Soul crushing, the usual."

That shut him up.

The rest of the ride was uneventful. The police officers got the hint that i didn't want to talk to them and i succesfully kept from crying.

I wandered if i would be going to school today. It was monday so i night get the whole week off.

It wasn't a particuarly long drive to the police station, twenty minutes tops but it seemed like an eternity.

An eternity where i tried everything i could to make sure i didn't think.

Not thinking is my escape. One thing i'd done long ago is ban myself from thinking about my future.

There was nothing bright about it, nothing to look foward to.

It was too painful.

With a sudden jolt, we reached the police station.

I blew my black bangs out of my face as i stepped out into the car park.

Then i followed the officers into a room with lots of desks and lots of people in blue uniforms, sitting at those desks, typing on computers and filling out documents.

I could hear the dogs going off at something a while off and there was a siren getting feinter as i stepped slowly after the two men.

We arrived at a desk named Wallace and one of the two men walked off.