Chapter Fifteen: Late Night Snacking

Late Night Snacking

Lori tossed and turned in bed, restless, unable to get a single wink of sleep. It was late. Really, really late. Everyone had gone to bed hours ago but she couldn’t sleep now. She'd passed out earlier, but now that she was awake, she knew she'd be up for hours. Really, after the day she’d had, she couldn’t believe she hadn’t stayed passed out from sheer exhaustion and ridiculous alcohol intake. But here she was, in the wee hours of the morning, completely and utterly awake.

And starving!  

They’d thrown a celebratory feast in her honor. Everything from roast pig, to roasted chicken (and every possible animal that could be eaten in between) was served. Along with all the meat there were heaping bowls of mashed potatoes, creamed vegetables of every color, sweet breads, cheeses, fruit, ale, wine and veritable crate load of other foods Lori didn’t readily recognized but people dove into with vigor. There was an entire table overloaded with a myriad of desserts, overflowing bowls of cream, and other sugary concoctions that looked like cavities on a plate. There was so much food in the dining hall she was sure Christmas at the White House didn’t have such a spread.

When she’d walked into the room with Des, everyone stood including Eric himself, and clapped so loudly she imagined she felt the stone walls vibrating with the sound. It was beyond surreal to be the central focus of such attention, but she would lying to herself if she didn’t admit to basking in the glory of the moment.

Naturally, she’d been saved the seat to Eric’s right and as she made her way to the high table, men and women alike were giving her hugs and hearty handshakes, congratulating her on her tournament performance.

Once again Lori found herself lost to the charm of the people of Wolfgard. She thought perhaps some might be angry with her for not bowing down and losing, but nothing could have been further from the truth. In a matter of minutes she was relaxed and laughing easily with everyone, while inwardly chiding herself for even thinking of staying locked up in her room. It had been a brief moment of irrational fear, one that Des had refused to let her wallow in.   

As she reached her seat, Eric bowed gallantly before standing upright and offering his hand. When she took it, he raised it above her head, signaling to the gathered attendants that he considered her the champion of their day’s competition.  The assemble guests cheered louder and longer, which she would have thought practically impossible at this point.  

He held her hand a moment longer than was absolutely necessary. He looked down at her, eyes dark and smoky, a sexy smile playing at the corners of his mouth. When he spoke, it was innocent enough but it sent butterflies the size of vampire bats circling inside her lower belly, “You have won the hearts of me and my people this day, my lady. It would appear more than a few of my own men have grown tired of my untarnished legacy.”

Lori laughed, looking around at the elite guard. A few of them winked and gave her a raised fist, which seemed to be their version of a thumbs-up. Removing her hand as she took her seat she laughed, “I think you might be right, lord Eric.”

“True right. The gods alone know I was sick to death of all his winnin',” Aiden hooted as he plunked down a large bag of winnings in front of her, “and you my dear lady have won me quite a bit of silver. By right half belongs to you, lass.” he winked, the corner of his eyes crinkling in good natured humor as he motioned towards the full sack of money.

“That’s half?” she asked in disbelief.

“Aye. Not many warriors convinced you’d get through the first round, my lady. I won that half when you didna withdraw.” he waved at the sack.