Show & Tell

Chapter 11

Show & Tell

I packed all the food that I wanted from Marie's fridge and kitchen cabinets. I knew that I was going to need some heavy dose of comfort today in the form of loads of sweets and ice cream.

I managed to keep it together until I reached the door to my basement, but as soon as I closed the door, I couldn't hold it in any longer and tears fell down in a waterfall.

I cried because of all the fights with Russell, Adam, and Marissa, but I was the most upset about Lucky. I had pushed him away and then shouted and tossed him out in the street like trash. I cried because I missed Jules so much that it hurt.

I wished she was still with me, helping me go through this. I missed her silent companionship, her watchful gaze, the warmth she brought to my heart when she rubbed her head on my arm, or when she curled up on my lap to listen to me rant about my life. With Jules, I didn't feel so alone.

And I never felt so alone in my life like right now, but I was the only one to blame for my solitude this time. Lucky was never coming back now, not after the way I'd treated him.

I sat on my carpet with bags of food scattered all around me and buried my face in my hands and cried. If Jules was still here, she would have licked the salty tears off my face and meowed in concern until I stopped crying. She was my best friend, the one I came running to whenever I had a problem, or whenever I was sad or upset.

I blinked startled by a low 'rwrrrrr' rumbling in front of me, and for a moment, I thought I would see Jule's big blue eyes staring up at me. But instead of blue eyes, I saw mismatched green and yellow, filled with concern.

Lucky tapped lightly at my leg with his paw, to get my attention, or maybe it was only his way of saying 'There, there, now. Everything will be alright.'

"Lucky!" I yelled in surprise and launched at him, squishing him with a big hug. "You came back! I can't believe you came back!"

I may have squeezed him a bit too tight because he whined in protest and squirmed in my arms, trying to wriggle away from me. I let him go, laughing and crying at the same time, feeling so relieved because I had Lucky back in my life.

I wasn't alone anymore, he was here again.

"I'm so sorry for kicking you out like that. I was really mean to you. I'll never do that again to you, I promise. Will you let me make it up to you?"

He watched me suspiciously and let out a tiny meow of agreement.

I stood up, dabbing at my eyes, then I hurried to the kitchen to start the food preparation that I was planning to make for Lucky. He was going to have the most epic feast of all time.

When I had everything placed neatly on a tray, I walked back to the living room, sat on my carpet, and put the tray in front of him on the floor.

"Here you go, all the best food for you. Are you feeling lucky or what?" I joked and rubbed his head playfully, which earned me a mighty glare and an upset hiss of 'You're pushing your luck, missy. If you weren't crying your eyes out a second ago, you would so be seeing my deadly claws right about now.'

"All right, sorry! I forgot you hate any sign of affection. My bad. Now, come on, eat up! This is all for you." I gestured to his tray.

I had put all kinds of food that I knew cats loved in that tray. It was a feast to be served to a cat king. His eyes were wide in awe at the delicious treats that I was offering all in one go. He squirmed on his spot, trying to decide which prize he was going to gobble up first.