Chapter 54 - The Fight

“Like the concerned friend that you are, Scott, you brought Jackson to Derek to save him.” Gerard said taking a few step closer to us, “You just didn’t realise that you were also bringing Derek to me.”

There was a noise like something flying through the air at a rapid pace – one that I knew all too well. Scott ducked and the arrow flew straight into Isaac’s shoulder causing him to fall to the ground. Scott and I both looked behind Gerard to see a figure just disappearing around the corner, holding a cross bow.

“Allison?” Scott yelled.

Scott and I both ran to Isaac to pull him away from shooting range until he healed. Leaving Chris with the Kanima. Scott pulled the arrow out of Isaac’s shoulder and he healed almost instantly. Chris soon ran into the room we’d taken cover in, followed by the Kanima who caught up and knocked him to the ground. Gerard was hurting his own son, something told me there was more to this then getting revenge on Derek. Derek than came into view by flipping over a crate. Scott, Isaac and I then all let our wolf sides take over.

We surrounded Jackson and Derek took the first move. He blocked a couple of the Kanima’s attempts to knock him out, but was scratched in the stomach. He tripped back. Scott ran up and jumped on Jackson’s back causing him to scream… or screech may be a better word for it. He didn’t last long before he was thrown off. In its moment of distraction Isaac grabbed it around the throat and I went for the arms, staying clear of the claws. The aim was to somehow pin him down long enough for Derek to strike, but even with all of us we were failing. Jackson managed to wriggle free. He threw Isaac into some crates then turned on me. I blocked his first few attempts and even ducked from one, but it was useless. He grabbed my arm and putting one hand on my stomach threw me as hard as he could across the room and into a brick wall. I was unaware of my surroundings for a while, but no more than a minute. When I finally came to I stood up and was about to run over to where Derek was now fighting Jackson alone, but I was stopped by a gun fire. I felt not one but at least a dozen tiny pieces of metal piercing my stomach. Each fragment was laced with a very strong wolfs-bane. My legs gave way and I crashed to the ground. I looked up to see Derek looking at me with concern, but for that brief moment of distraction the Kanima slashed him like he had before in the stomach, but this time deeper. Derek didn’t trip back this time he fell, half paralysed.

I looked across the room and saw Isaac bleeding out on the ground with Alison standing over him with two bloody knives. Scott was standing 15 metres away in shock.

“Allison!” Scott yelled.

Just as she was about to make a move towards Derek, the Kanima came up behind her, snatching the knives out of her hand and grabbing her by the throat. “Not yet sweetheart.” Gerard said, coming into view with the gun he’d used to shoot me.

“What are you doing?” Allison asked the question we all wanted to know.

“He’s doing what he came here to do.” Scott said.

“Then you know.” Gerard said nodding at Scott. “It was that night outside the hospital wasn’t it? When I threatened your mother. I knew I could see something in your eyes, you could smell it couldn’t you.”

“He’s dying.” Isaac said, now starting to heal.

“I am, I have been for a while now. Unfortunately science doesn’t have a cure for cancer yet… but the supernatural does.” Gerard said looking down at Derek.

“You monster,” Chris said, disgust written all over his face.

“Not yet.” Gerard snapped at his son.

“What are you doing?” Allison screamed, but was cut off by a tighter grip around her throat.

“You’ll kill her too?” Chris asked.