Diamonds & Pearls (20)-Ready For Battle

Diamonds & Pearls

 Before You Read: Hey guys! Quick reminder here! If you're delaying a prayer right now to read this story, stop whatever you're doing and go pray! Don't let anything take you away from Allah. Especially not this story. Now if you're all prayed up, go ahead and enjoy this chapter.

Thanks for your patience up until now. This chapter is a little on the mature side and the N-word is used with no censorship. Be warned.

CHAPTER TWENTY-Ready For Battle

I stood outside in the snow. Rafiq was a few feet away, leaning against a brick wall with his eyes closed. We probably weren't supposed to be out here but I had asked Rafiq to come with me. We'd just prayed Fajr in the gymnasium. A lot of people had stared while Rafiq, Zayna, Noor, and I prayed. We couldn't fit into the storage closet and we surely were not about to miss the prayer. Students had been banned from classrooms hours before. I didn't care what they thought though, as long as Allah was satisfied with me.

The sun was coming up, slowly but surely. The snow was falling much lighter than it had been an hour ago. The plows still hadn't made it to this area yet and I had gotten restless under the stares of everyone inside. I was freezing but it felt really good to be in the snow. Something about the bright coolness of it lightened my mood and gave me hope. “Rafiq,” I called to him over my shoulder, staring up at the gusts of snow falling above me.

“What's up?” He replied tiredly. I could hear the snow crunching under his feet as he walked up beside me. I turned to look at him brightly.

“Let's spar.” I said, playfully hitting him. I quickly got into a fighting stance, preparing myself for if he retaliated.

“I don't feel like it.” Rafiq sighed. I felt my giddiness sink. I frowned at him before punching him in the shoulder. “Daleela cut it out.”

I hit him again, circling him with my fists up. He turned in annoyance. Since I was wearing black jeans under my dress, I decided to take a risk. I tried to kick him even though I knew that there was no possible chance that my foot would hit its mark. Rafiq caught my leg without the blink of an eye. “You're going to have to do a little better than that.” He said, dropping my foot and getting into a fighting stance. I grinned, straightening myself out.

Rafiq sent a punch my way and I blocked it, attempting to send a blow to his neck. He was faster than me, grabbing hold of my hand and twisting it behind my back. I yelped in surprise. “Got you,” He chuckled in my ear.

“That's what you think.” I said, placing my foot behind his. I kicked his heel and he lost his balance, releasing me. He grinned in amusement, lying on the snow. I held out my hand to help him out.

“You've learned a lot.” Rafiq praised, accepting my hand. “But what did I tell you about trusting the enemy?” He said and then pulled me to the ground faster than I could blink. Rafiq pinned me down using all of his strength. “Now get out of it.”

I fought against him for a minute or two before groaning in annoyance. “I can't, you know you're stronger.” I pouted. Rafiq shook his head.