Twin Hearts [The Body Switchers] (1)

I'm sitting down, looking out at our small city from the balcony connected to the sitting room. I see my long legs hanging off the edge of the concrete, making me look like a giant, trotting on the skyscrapers, grocery stores, and houses outlining the city. The night sky hangs over the picture drearily, almost as if holding it down.

 "I'll outgrow you some day," I murmur aloud. "And when I'm famous you'll wish you hadn't overlooked me."

 "Honey, come inside! It's cold out there," my mom calls from inside.

 "Coming!" I shout back. I stand and throw my last cookie over the balcony, quickly running inside and shutting the screen door.

 ______________

_______________

 BEEP...BEEP...BEEP...BEEP...

 'It'll go away soon,' I think to myself. 'Just ignore it.'

BEEP...BEEP...BEEP...BEEP...

 "Uggh," I mumble, flapping my hand out to reach my alarm clock. I could've sworn it sounded a little quieter yesterday. I've missed five times already, so I turn around and balance myself on my left arm, reaching out to slam hard on the snooze button. Instead, I miss it and hit a sharp pencil, crying out and falling over the edge of the bed at the same time.

 "Are you alright Charis?" my dad calls into the room, fixing his tie.

 "I'm fine dad," I grumble into the ground, taking in the deep sent of Febreeze.

 "Well hurry it up, kiddo. School starts in thirty minutes," he says, backing out of the doorway.

 "Alright, alright...Thirty minutes!?" I shriek. I prop myself up, slamming my head on the desk as I grab for my towel, stuck under the bed. I get up and rush to the bathroom, rubbing my head angrily. Doesn't Charis mean something along the lines of the graceful one? What were my parents thinking?

 ____________

_____________

 I come out of the shower and look into my closet. I pull out a pink shirt with a white collar and some plain blue jeans. I comb my long brown hair straight and adjust my bangs so they fall just above my eyes. Pulling a tan boater hat with a pink stripe across it over my head, I stare into the mirror at my reflection. Plump long face, small pointy nose, plain red lips and boring blue eyes. I sigh and tug my hat tightly over my head, grabbing my side pack and rushing out the door.

 "Mom, what's for breakfast?" I call out as I pass her room.

 "Eat some cereal, will you? I've got work!" She says, scanning her dresser for something. "Ugh, where are those earrings?!"

 I groan and put some toast into the the toaster, pouring some orange juice. "You know, I'd at least expect some breakfast when I wake up in the morning," I grumble, sipping some juice. I purse my lips so as not to suck up the pulp and my dad cringes.

 "I thought you'd dropped that habit when you were five," he says, coming over and kissing me on the forehead.

 "You thought a lot of things dad," I say, patting him on the back. "I'm gonna walk today, it's a little cloudy," I say, grabbing a key from next to the calendar and the just-warm toast.

 "Alright, be careful," he warns, grabbing his suitcase and his bundle of keys next to mine.

 "Always am," I say back. "Bye mom!"