[1] You Promised

You swore when I wore your ring

It meant forever

I’ve got it on baby,

How can you say I lost it

Oh, you promised…

You Promised –Brantley Gilbert

The dinner table was quiet tonight, looking up from my plate I stare at him a deep frown was on John’s face –unusual for my carefree husband. “You did great on Raw last night, hun.” I try to force a smile to crack the silence, he nods putting another fork full in his mouth never once meeting my gaze. Gulping, I try again. “How is your brother doing?” a very serious subject for John, his brother was finally cancer free as of October, normally he would smile and compliment his brothers strength, he shrugs.

Something is very wrong, I think biting down on my bottom lip. Keeping quiet, I wait for him to finish his meal to see if I get my normal response, of a thank you and a kiss. He grabs his plate, swiftly turning from his chair and heading to the kitchen, the sound of running water makes my eyes swell with tears, I swallow them down. “No need to jump to conclusions, Liz.” I whisper to myself, the words made the tears disappear but not my fear.

“John?” I choke out, the water stops running I guess his way of saying I’m listening without actually saying a word. “Is something wrong?” I dare ask the question that could bring my world crashing down before me.

Shuffling came from the kitchen area; I slowly rise taking my half full plate in the room, no longer able to eat. Scrapping the leftovers in the garbage can, I watch him from the corner of my eye posted against the sink staring at the ground with pure dread on his beautiful dimple face.  “We need to talk,” he finally mumbles in his strong, deep voice.

Swallowing hard, I nod taking a step toward him. Images of him cheating on me flash with each step I take toward him my heart racing, taking his hand in mine. “We can get through whatever it is…” I whisper, leaning down so our eyes connect for the first time tonight, he closes his beautiful blue eyes and shakes his head ever so softly. No.

Tears instantly rush to my eyes, how could my high school sweetheart be thinking such a thing? We’ve been homeless together, eating nothing but things off McDonald’s dollar menu and that was on a good night, all so we could see his dream come true.  “I- I don’t understand…” I sob my hands shaking uncontrollably as he pulls his from my grip.

“We’ve just grown apart…” he utters the words, barely audible. I take a step back, grown apart? How could that be, just a week ago things were perfect.

“John, that’s not true…” I say frantic, trying to make him see the light. “There has to be another reas…” I trail off, there was just no way. He couldn’t have, John is better than that. My knees get shaky unable to hold myself up, I fall to them. “How could you?” I breathe out in the softest voice ever spoke, his blue eyes shoot open at the words.

“No, Elizabeth it’s not.” He stops himself, his jaw tightening with anger as he tries to fight his way out of this. His eyes said he didn’t want this, but his tough demeanor said otherwise. John looks away again, unable to keep his tough guy act on with me crumbled to the floor in pure agony at his words.

“I was never the prettiest girl, or the skinniest, but I never thought you would do this. Not you.” My words tremble with my bottom lip, his eyes tighten shut as if holding his own tears back. “John, please we can work through it…I’ll lose the weight…whatever it takes!” I nearly scream surprising both of us, as if not able to take it anymore he stalks off.

Pulling every bit of strength left in me, I climb off the floor and run out into the rainy night after him. “No, baby don’t…you’re making my heart hurt.” My tears race the rain drops sliding down my cheek, my white cotton dress soaking wet already.

Those blue eyes still directed at the ground, “John, just look at me.” My heart is breaking with each second he ignores my request, “Please, love. If you just seen how much this hurt me, you would take back those words. You said forever…please. I love you.” I cry harder, my bare feet freezing on the cement driveway.

“Liz, you don’t understand.” He says, his head slowly tracing its way up my legs to my face. His eyes soften at my face, “I can’t, I can’t be with you.” His voice no longer hard, reminding me of his sweet nothings he would whisper in my ear at night while we would cuddle. 

“You promised,” I push my wet hair out of my face, he shakes his head letting out a sigh, his hand tightening on his car door that was ajar in the garage. “John, don’t you love me anymore?” My voice cracks at the question I didn’t want to ask most, tears bead in those beautiful blue eyes of his.

“Of course,” he half smiles, revealing those dimples that made me say yes to a date in the first place so many years back. “But love isn’t always enough, this is bigger than you and me, trust me.” And like that the smile was gone, no amusement in those childlike eyes of his.

“John, what happened to you and me against the world? The only way this makes sense is if there is someone else…” Taking a step forward, I reach out for him without missing a beat he puts one foot inside the car, making me pause. “Is there?” I ask again,

After over a decade together, I could tell he was debating what to do, “Sort of.” My mind was set on cheating but those words…I never in my life believed I could feel pain like those words caused, my mouth opens in surprise as I bring my hand up to cover it.

“Why?” I ask just as thunder cracks a head of us,

“Go inside Liz, its storming.” He states the obvious, completely ignoring my question.

“Why, John?” I scream at the top of my lungs, he flinches at the words.

“Because, you’ll get sick in this rain.” He says, and I should have seen it coming what normally would have made me give a smile just frustrated me more. I give my stern look and he sighs, running his hand over his hair like he does when he is nervous. “This is goodbye…” was all he says before climbing into the car, and slamming the door, out of passion I run to the door and try to open it. Locked.

“John, please!” I cry in to the tinted window, I could barely see his silhouette in the car when his hand presses against the glass. The tears come back harder than before as I place my hand onto the outline of his, I swear I can feel the heat of his hand through the glass I close my eyes and imagine all the nights I took for granted with those same hands resting on me.

“I love you…” I whisper one last time before the heat is gone, I open my eyes to see his hand gone just in time to watch the car fly away.

-X- READ ME -X-

Didn't really have this story on my list of things to come but I hope you guys are as excited as I am about it!

What do you think so far? Comment. Vote. Please!

Also wanna thank OrtonCenaRKO for the title.