Trivia: Sunny, Hyoyeon, Yuri

Sunny

Sunny is the shortest member of SNSD.

Sunny is in charge of aegyo (cutesy acts) in SNSD.

She doesn’t really fond of her real name, Soon-kyu because it sounds old and outdated.

The name Soon-kyu lives on through her participation in variety show ‘Invincible Youth’ wherein Sunny revealed her hard-working side as a farmer. Many viewers thought “Soonkyu” was a nickname given to fit her persona of  hard-working country-side girl in the show, while in fact it’s her real name. She also gained the nickname “Chicken-catcher Soonkyu” thanks to her impressive ability to catch chicken.

Sunny was born in United States and the moved to Kuwait when she was an infant.

She and her family was a war refugee during the Gulf War in Kuwait.

Sunny has a phobia to fireworks and loud sounds, probably because of the Gulf War experience she had.

Sunny is an avid gamer.

Sunny is a niece to SM Entertainment’s founder and former CEO, Lee Sooman.

She’s the last to join SNSD and the one who received the shortest training in SM Ent; that was because she was trained in another company, owned by singer Wheesung, for five years but the company went bankrupt so Sunny auditioned to SM Entertainment instead.

Sunny shares the same birthday with both of her older sisters.

Hyoyeon

SNSD’s “fashion terrorist”.

Prior to her debut, Hyoyeon traveled to Beijing, China in 2004 with Super Junior’s Siwon to learn Mandarin and more about Chinese culture.

In 1999, she enrolled in Winners Dance School, a famous dance school in South Korea specializing in popping, locking, animation and various other hip-hop styles.

At Winners Dance School, Hyoyeon teamed with MissA’s Min and formed a dancing duo called Little Winners.

Besides Hip -hop dance, Hyoyeon also learned Jazz and Latin dance.

She received dance instruction from the Electric Boogaloos and top choreographers such as Kim Hye Rang, Poppin Seen, Kwang Hoo (aka Crazy Monkey), Poppin DS, Kwon Seok-Jin (aka Locking Khan) and ex-Black Beat’s / Beat Burger’s Shim Jae Won.

Hyoyeon’s Chinese name is 孝渊

(Xiàoyuān)

Yuri

SNSD’s biggest prankster.

Her image is that of sexiness, but she’s also known for her “kkab” (crazy / hyper, playful acts).

Yuri often talks to herself in a self-hypnosis way.

Among her nicknames are “Black Pearl” and “Cola”, both referring to her unique personality and her tanned skin.

She wrote the lyrics to one of SNSD’s ballads, titled “Mistake”. The song was included in SNSD’s third mini-album.

Yuri is a health nut. Every morning, Yuri drinks grinded Ma juice mixed with milk, honey, and apples. She also regularly drinks Chinese herbal tonic.

She does yoga. On the variety show ‘Invicible Youth’, there was a segment of “Yuri’s Yoga Classroom”.

“Yuri” literally means “glass” in Korean.

Yuri collects Mickey Mouse items. She also likes anime/manga Crayon Shinchan.

She gained the nickname “BK Yuri” after she threw an impressive underhand opening pitch at a baseball game back in 2007. The nickname is taken from  Byunghyun Kim, a former major league player known for his underhand pitch.