The Day: Afternoon

It was three o’clock, I wasn’t tired, there was no need to sleep. I decided to go pick out some flowers for Jen’s art show.

As I contemplated between tulips and poinsettias, my phone started buzzing in my pocket.

“Hello?” I answered the phone, not bothering to check the caller ID.

“Hello, I’m looking to speak with…” There was a rustling of papers. “Lucas Moreau,” the voice inquired.

“This is he,” I replied, my interest sparking now that I didn’t recognize the voice.

“Oh, hello, Mr. Moreau. This is David from Stanford admissions. You were at an interview with Dom earlier today,” stated David-from-Stanford-admissions, but paused as if waiting for me to confirm this information.

“Correct,” I confirmed.

“Good! I apologize for the short notice, but we’ll be hosting a group interview at six o’clock today, and Dom seemed very impressed by your interview today, so we’d be happy if you could make it.”

“Well, I can’t make it to Stanford by six o’clock, it’s at least a four hour drive from here, not to mention—” I was cut off by a laugh.

“Oh, no. It’s not here, it’s at your school,” David informed me, still chuckling, as if it were the funniest thing he’d heard all day.

Maybe it was.

“Oh, uh, yes, that works, then. Thank you, David,” I answered.

“Of course, it'll be in room 113, just sign in at the administration office when you get there,” David instructed. “Have a good evening, Mr. Moreau.”

“You too, bye,” I replied, hanging up.

Stanford wants me at their group interview! I have to take notes, I have to find an appropriate outfit, I have to—

Call Jen I won’t be making it to her art show.