In Consequence - Chapter 17

Thanks so much for your patience in awaiting this installment. I hope you enjoy it!

-Trudy

The newlyweds arrived at Milton station filled with the exuberance of traveling alone together as husband and wife. If their attire gave no indication of the morning’s events, anyone with a perceptive eye could guess that the couple at the ticket counter were newly married for not a moment passed when they were not in some way attached to the other by an affectionate grasp or touch, and as they waited for their train to arrive, the fond glances and smiles exchanged by the tall, imposing man and the young beauty at his side revealed their elation.

Once they were seated comfortably in their compartment, Mr. Thornton and his wife were content to enjoy the time in closed quarters in relative silence.

A kindly gentleman and his well-rounded wife sat across from them. Married above twenty years themselves, the travelers quietly observed the young couple’s clasped hands and the soft glow of radiant joy that illuminated their faces. They noted with particular amusement the tender solicitude which the strong-looking man rendered to his lovely companion.

Remarking upon it later, the couple from Leeds agreed that the two young lovers must have been embarking upon their honeymoon and reminisced with light hearts about the sweet bygone days of their own courtship.

An exchange of passengers having been made midway on their travels, the Thorntons were next accompanied by a tight-lipped business man who disappeared behind his newspaper after gruffly acknowledging the traveling pair.

The lovers spoke in low tones as the miles sped by and scenes of bucolic life spread outside to the horizon in unhurried glory.

Margaret pointed out a small lake to her husband, who leaned closer for a better view.

Tempted by her nearness and encouraged by the unyielding wall of newsprint guarding their privacy, Mr. Thornton began to nuzzle the soft, scented skin just behind her ear. She turned to silently scold him, glancing anxiously toward the hidden figure across from them, but her telltale smile only spurred him to continue his pursuit, and he became determined to win a clandestine kiss.

Her eyes twinkled in merriment as she knit her brow and shook her head in disapproval of his amorous intentions. He was not to be dissuaded. Seeing his wicked grin, she swiftly decided it would be best to appease him and offered her lips to his.

They dared kiss only a few seconds, but the fervency of feeling that made their lips cling longingly in secret communion left them both reeling in the quiet aftermath. They stared at one another in renewed awe at having found a matching soul.

Mr. Thornton took her small hand in his and interlaced his fingers with hers. Satisfied with this firm connection, they both returned to happily gazing out the window.

Margaret leaned her head against her husband’s shoulder in perfect peace and not long after fell asleep, more exhausted from the day’s activity than she had supposed. Mr. Thornton watched her sleeping form with reverent fascination for some time before he inclined his head near hers and followed suit.

As the train screeched to a laboring halt at York, the newlyweds were roused from their light slumber and found, much to their amusement, that their seat mate was equally encumbered with drowsiness as he also awakened from a stolen nap.

They changed trains for the last leg of their journey, and managed to keep awake to enjoy the passing views of the gently rolling hills of the Yorkshire Wolds, the gray ruins of an ancient priory, and the slow meandering of an old river.