Famous Last Words...

Hey Blissters!

First off, thank you so much for reading PAINLESS! I’ve really appreciated all the love and support you’ve given as you’ve gone on this journey with me. For me, writing about Bliss was a cathartic experience. At the time that I wrote it, I’d just been diagnosed with an autoimmune disease called Celiac Disease, where your body can’t process gluten and begins to kill itself if you ingest it. This was really hard for me, because everything in my life had to change to accommodate this new diagnosis. My reaction? I’ll be honest, it wasn’t great. I became angry, depressed, frustrated and I felt really alone.

Now, I’d heard about CIPA before I was diagnosed with CD (yes, CIPA is a REAL condition!!!), and had always been fascinated by it. I mean, it’s a condition where people don’t feel pain! But as I learned more about it, I realized that although it sounds like it would be cool to not feel pain, CIPA comes with a ton of downsides. Kids with CIPA can’t sweat, cry or regulate their body temperature. And the reality is that pain is what lets us know something’s wrong in our bodies. Without it, a person can get REALLY sick…maybe even die. Oh, and did I mention that CIPA is SUPER rare?

So, I decided to write PAINLESS, because I needed a way to work through all the feelings I was having over my own diagnosis. And what better way to do that, then through focusing on a condition where the person is literally different than everyone else. Plus, I wanted to explore a character that couldn’t feel physical pain, but could still experience emotional pain. Because emotional pain is sometimes worse.

I know that Bliss can be a tough girl to love sometimes. She’s angry, combative, standoffish, close-minded, a budding alcoholic and pushes everyone away from her. But she’s also just a girl who was dealt a raw deal and is trying to navigate her life the best she can. And for the most part, I think you guys got that. You know she’s not perfect. You get that she’s damaged. And yet you like her anyway. Both Bliss and I thank you for that.

Because when it comes down to it, this book is all about fear. Fear of dying before we really live. Fear of being hurt (and not necessarily physically). Fear of being alone.

But it’s also about finding the inner strength to move past those fears.

Sometimes life is going to throw you curveballs. And they might seem unfair and scary and, well, downright shitty. But it’s all about how you react to those curveballs that really matters. And part of what can help us through those tough times, is knowing that we aren’t alone. I mean, even if you don’t know anyone going through the same stuff as you, it doesn’t mean others don’t have “pain” of their own. When I was first diagnosed with CD, I couldn’t see this. It took me a lot of time--and writing this book--to begin to feel less like my life was over. But eventually I realized I wasn’t alone in feeling different.

So, whatever you might be going through, whether it’s health problems, not fitting in at school, the way you look, family drama…just know that Bliss & I are both here for you. And we totally get it. But if that’s not enough, maybe try channeling a bit of Bliss. Not the violent part, of course (though Bliss would say that hitting a punching bag is a good workout AND a great stress reliever). But focus on the strong, independent person who embraces who she is and leaves her mark on the world.

And you can start doing that now, by using your voice to help impact THIS Wattpadder’s world. It’s no secret that I wouldn’t be where I am today without the support of readers like you. So, in a very big way, you’ve all changed my life just by reading my stuff. I can’t tell you how much that means to me.

But if you’re looking to do more, here are three ways you can continue to impact another person’s life:

1.     Buy your own copy of PAINLESS. If you liked what you read, you can purchase your own paperback copy of the book now on Amazon. Just search my name “Brittany Geragotelis” and you’ll see PAINLESS on my list of published books. But you won’t just be supporting me and my books….A PORTION OF THE PROCEEDS FROM EVERY BOOK SOLD WILL GO TO AN ORGANIZATION THAT BENEFITS KIDS WITH RARE DISEASES LIKE CIPA. Show these kids they’re not alone by purchasing your copy today.

2.     Write a review of PAINLESS on Amazon, Goodreads or your personal blog. Your opinion matters and I’d love to hear it. In fact….if you write a review of PAINLESS on any of these platforms, you could win a copy of PAINLESS! Go and post your review online (good or bad) between now and Friday, March 13th, and you’ll be entered to win 1 of 10 free copies of PAINLESS. Just send me a link to your review and winners will be selected at random.

3.     Tell your friends about PAINLESS. Again, what you have to say really CAN make a difference. One of the best ways for a book to become popular is when readers talk about it. So, if you liked PAINLESS, please tell your friends! Whether this is through social media or just by word of mouth, every mention counts.

So, that’s about it. Thank you so much for reading and for spreading the love. Oh, and for those of you who have already been asking….no, you haven’t seen the last of Bliss Benson. I think she’s got a whole lot of life to live still. Thanks to you.

J
Britt