Chapter 1: The Way She Strives

The Way She Strives

***

Kaylaxin quietly settled down in her living room, savoring the rare peace she often craved. Her black handbag lazily slid from her left arm as she slouched on the sofa exhaustedly, it had been a tortuous day. Rest is all she'd yearned for having fought off past memories from resurfacing all evening.

Unbeknownst to her, she teleported back in time, over a decade ago where she sat, at the corner of her cramped up bedsitter gazing into the twilight enveloping streaks of sunlight from the horizon. She was just as forlorn then, troubled by the foreboding reality of being a lonesome parent. Her gasp had blood surging through her veins, a hideous dark creature drunkenly swiveled beneath the rocky chair she swayed on. The seven month babe shuddered in her arms,. "Ugh, these rats!" She cursed lowly, it was gnawing on yet another pair of shoes. Weary, she let it be, afraid to awaken her.

Silence was a luxury absent in that neighborhood, if it wasn't the Grungor's fighting about their marital infidelities, it was a grievous parent scolding her kids on misdemeanors or Letitia getting whipped by her step mother along with her unruly brother. Then there were obnoxious campus students who shared a room, booming music late into the night. She swore it sickened her twice as much as it did her child.

Kayla groused, touching her daughter's tiny, dangly feet. She'd half-awakened, gripping tightly onto her mother's thumb, a smile stayed, exposing her toothless jaw before snuggling back into her arms. She was wrapped in a warm shoal Merryn had blessed her with three months back; She suddenly felt indebted, pushing away the frayed hair strand that paced on her forehead. There was a gentle tune on her lips, steadily placing her in the crib, she too wanted to escape the craze around them but her mind was too worked up.

At the time, Kayla had been clueless as to how she'd fend their needs on minimum wage. The landlord swore to kick them out to the streets if the month's rent came in late again. When she gave thought of her situation, she feared that some women abandoned or aborted their babies for such reason. But she could never settle for either, especially the latter, a sole parent she was, broke but not broken.

"Mom are you okay?" A nudge startled Kayla who now sat straight, dazed. "Mom?" Kayla faced her flustered.

"Lexie honey, I'm well, why are you up? You should get some rest." She muttered incoherently.

"I just finished my assignments was grabbing a glass of water, didn't expect to find you here." She explained walking towards her. "Did you just come in?"

"Yeah, worked late today, there's been a lot to do since Kate is out of the country on another business trip." Kayla stated. "Anyway, you've got school love, go sleep, I'll update you later." Lexie conceded with a goodnight, perturbed at how overwhelmed her mother seemed.

Her mind drifted back to that day, it was the fifteenth of June 1999, she recounted. She'd managed to drive out the relentless rat that forever sneaked into her home through a crevice at the corner of her room. Quarter to midnight the clock ticked from the blank wall, she needed enough rest for her interview at Mumford's.

***
Good gracious! Timely was that interview, it had her move from the poorly ventilated apartment she'd resided in East of Marshpal to a better abode. The Tomlin's became her neighbors and they'd since fostered a friendship.

It was strange how time had delved, she thought reminiscent. Lexie was so strong willed but to Kayla's dismay, she occasionally read her eyes, they held a sadness and tears of having to cope without a father figure. Kayla sighed, standing from the sofa, too tired to eat, she flicked off the lights and quietly walked upstairs.

When she peeked into Lexie's room, she found her conked, the thick-paged novel she'd been reading covered the bridge of her grunting nose. One of her hands lie across her chest and the other stretched out, holding the purple polka dotted bookmark she'd crafted.

Stealthily, she tiptoed to her bedside, relieved her that load and lovingly kissed her forehead before slipping away.

Mama, mother or mom, these tongues sounded all too similar to Kayla, she knew she'd been a great one thus far. Fifteen years too long.

***

A/N:

Kindly leave a comment. Thanks for the support! Do read ahead :)