Chapter 12

No one said a single word, not one. Lander took the horses and Merek went to fetch dinner, being a soldier on duty meant meals were taken care of. Jade sat in front of the fire and Phantom stubbornly would not leave her side and lay down behind Jade so she could rest her back against him. She knew he was still hungry from not having the chance to catch anything on his hunt but he refused to leave and Jade didn’t press him.

                When Lander finished tending to the horses he disappeared into the tent for a while and when he came back out, he was dressed in a brown tunic and leather trousers. He sat down across the fire from Jade and stared into the hot embers and Jade did the same. The silence built with every passing breath, and became more uncomfortable until Merek returned with food.

                Lander stood and retrieved plates and mugs and Merek unpacked the food and divided it among them. Hot soft bread with honey, a large lump of cheese, two baked potatoes and a large leg of chicken was handed to Jade on a round plate followed by a mug of cool milk that he poured from a corked jar.

                “Thank you,” she said breaking the silence.

                “You’re welcome.” After everyone had their food Merek pulled out a chuck of raw meet the size of Jade’s thigh. “May I?” He asked.

                A smile grew on Jade’s lips at thoughtful act, “You may.”

                Merek approached Phantom slowly and placed the meat in front of the wolf like a peace offering. Phantom sniffed and then pinned the meat under his paws before tearing into it. Merek smiled and stepped away and picked up his own dinner. They all ate, and again remained silent. Lander fed more wood to the fire and then when they finished they looked around at each other awkwardly.

                Finally Jade let out a long breath and rubbed her face before she looked back to Lander and Merek. “Go ahead and say what it is you’re thinking, because we can’t just sit here and ignore each other all night.”

                “What do you mean, my lady?”

                Merek burst into laughter and Lander joined him. Jade, shocked at first from the outburst, slowly joined in until they were all struggling to breathe. The laughter hadn’t been entirely because of the joke, but instead served to break the tension and the awkwardness dissipated. It felt good to laugh it was like taking a gulp of fresh air after drowning. After the laughter died Lander cleared his throat. “In all seriousness though, can you please tell us what the hell is going on?”

                “I would love to,” Jade replied honestly. She wanted nothing more than to tell them the truth of everything. Somehow, when Thatcher acknowledged Jade’s highborn status she no longer felt guilty for telling them who she was. Jade knew she wouldn’t speak of it openly again, so she did so while she could and it was a great burden lifted from her shoulders to tell someone…anyone, even if she would never do so again. “What I tell you tonight must never be spoken to anyone else, for as you witnessed, I could be put in a dangerous situation if word gets out to the wrong people. My full name is Jade Dryden, and as you have probably guessed, I am a highborn Felkorian…or at least I used to be. Of my own choice I decided to become an exile, it wasn’t long after I left my home that I met you guys. When you arrested me for poaching that was after I had been attacked by Protectors looking to take me back, similar to what was being attempted tonight. The story I told you back then had been true, although missing certain details. I dont feel guilty now, telling you the truth.”

                “Jade about that arrest-”

                Jade held up her hand. "Don’t. I neither need nor want apology from either of you. It’s I who should apologize to you. I was bitter for things that passed between us, it’s true, but I know now what you did for me and because of you I am alive. You saved my life and gave me the chance to make a living, for that I am grateful, and I need you to understand that I harbor no ill will. In fact I consider you my friends.”