Chapter 35

I woke up the next morning to loud voices resonating around the villa. My head was pounding and the loud Italian chatter did not ease my headache. My eyes slowly peeled open to reveal the interior of the Hamilton’s room.

‘I must have fallen asleep last night’ I mumbled to myself as I gazed about the room. There was a pile of blankets resting on a nearby couch; Hamilton must have slept there last night. I glanced over to his dresser where the picture of me resided. It was now to the forefront of the shelf. My lips turned up slightly at the corner and then bloomed into a full-blown grin.

My thoughts drifted back to last night and what he revealed to me about his little brother Raoul. It was such a heart wrenching and tragic story. How could someone be such a conniving bitch? God I hated her. I hope she rots in hell.

I pulled back the thin sheets and slowly slid out of the bed. I felt sluggish and I just wanted to go back to sleep for another hour. But that would not be possible with the loud noises coming from the other side of the villa.

I quickly pulled on my dress from yesterday. I felt disgusting but I wasn’t going to go downstairs in my underwear. I stepped out into the hallway and tiptoed down the stairs. The voices started to get louder the further I descended down the staircase. As I reached the door to the living room there was a sudden spout of laughter and then the door swung open to reveal a plump Italian woman with rosy cheeks. A look of surprise crossed over her smiling face before she grabbed my cheeks and squeezed them together.

“Mio Dio! You must be Talia! I’ve heard so much about you and my, my, aren’t you pretty. Hamilton’s description didn’t do you any justice dear” She gushed as she held my face. I must have looked hilarious right now as this deranged woman smushed my face until I resembled a fish.

A deep resounding chuckle interrupted the woman’s chatter. I recognised it to be Hamilton. I stared at him as he approached us. He was dressed casually in jean shorts that cut off just at the knee, decks* and a white and blue stripped polo shirt. He looked delectable. His hair was tussled about on his head and it just screamed sexy. His lips were pulled into a smirk and his eyes were shining with mirth.

“Nonna let Talia go” he chuckled as he removed the woman’s hands from my face. He tried to lead her away but she swiped at him, “Iver don’t be rude! I want to talk to your new girlfriend!” she huffed and turned back to me; her smile once again present.

“Oh we aren’t-” I tried to tell her but was quickly interrupted, “Hush child there is no need to be embarrassed here” she winked. Then her eyes zoned in on my enlarged stomach. “Oh Mio Dio!” she shouted as she fanned herself with her hand. I gasped and grabbed her elbow; it seemed like she was going to faint. Hamilton grabbed her other arm and helped her over to a chair.

She slumped in the chair. “Nonna, are you okay?” Hamilton asked hesitantly. “Am I okay...am I okay.” She mumbled. “I’m ecstatic!” she shouted. “I am going to have a little nipote (grandchild).”

“Ehh it’s...” I tried to explain but I didn’t get to finish before she was talking a mile a minute again. “It’s okay my child, Venezia had Iver before she married his father Alastair and it all worked out wonderfully in the end. Oh it will be brilliant and all the family can visit! Oh I can’t wait.” She grinned.

It was then that I noticed another woman nestled in one of the armchairs on the far side of the room. “Ahh Talia” Iver said as he grabbed my elbow and steered me towards the woman, “this is my mother Venezia” What was this, a family reunion? She was a beautiful lady with long dark brown hair and chocolate coloured eyes. She had a lovely olive skin tone and the white dress she wore heightened this. I could see where Iver got his good looks from.