Chapter 01 | I Can't Be Just Friends With You

"Sawyer, I can't believe you missed your flight," Sienna sighs, as if she's just received the absolute worst news ever. "Like, how do you even? I just don't understand how that happ- never mind. What are you doing to fix this? Did you call somebody?"

"I called you," I remind her, picking up my remote and turning as an episode of Dance Moms comes on. Abby's way too hostile for me.

"No, I meant, like, somebody at the airport," She informs me. "Sawyer, you have to be in Kansas by tomorrow morning at 8 o'clock."

"Sienna, I just told you I missed my flight," I reiterate with an annoyed sigh. "Clearly, this is a sign. It will be okay - send my best."

"This is going to crush him, you know," Sienna murmurs, like she's trying to make me feel guilty or something, which is stupid and useless, because I will not feel guilty about this.

I refuse to feel guilty about missing my flight because even though Kansas is the literal last place on earth I want to be right now, I fully intended on getting up this morning and catching my flight there at 7 a.m. Stuff happens though.

Besides, I booked the flight months ago, before everything changed, so maybe it's for the best that I'm not going. I mean, nothing is the same as it used to be, so it'd just be really awkward for everyone if I was there.

"Yeah, I doubt it," I scoff, rolling my eyes though she can't see me. "Where are you?"

"I'm just about to leave my hotel room to go meet him for lunch," She tells me, sighing.

"Stop being so sigh-y, Sienna," I say. "I'm sure he wasn't expecting me to be there."

"Yeah, Sawyer, he was," She argues. "You guys haven't seen each other in months."

"Well, tell him I'm sorry, I guess," I murmur. "Anyway, when are you coming back home?"

"Tuesday - so, three days from today," She states. "And he's calling now, so I gotta go."

"Okay," I reply, thankful for the fact that this conversation is drawing to a close. "Well, have fun. Bring me something back."

"I will not bring you something back," She responds. "You know why? Because you don't deserve something back, that's why."

"Well, that's just plain rude, don't you think?"

"No," Sienna denies. "I think that it was rude of you to not catch your flight here this morning - that's what I think is rude."

"Okay, S," I sigh. "Well, I'll talk to you later."

She says goodbye then and I hang up the phone, putting it down on the glass coffee table. Then I start flicking through the television channels, looking for something good to watch. But of course, nothing catches my eye. I can't believe we pay so much for this trash.

"Sawyer!" Piper exclaims, walking through the front door and then closing it shut behind her. "What are you doing here?" She asks me, walking through the kitchen and into the living room, which is where I'm currently at, lying across the couch. She sits down beside me and gives me a curious look. "Aren't you supposed to be on a plane to Kansas right about now?"

"Yep, that was the plan," I confirm with a nod, giving up on my search for a good TV show and just resorting to the game channel.

"Well, what happened?" She asks. "Was your flight cancelled?"