Chapter Four

Hey guys! Woud you mind commenting? I feel really lonely! Thanks!!

I'm sorry this chapter is so short but I had to have a filler chapter, so this was it! I have ideas for the next one!

I'm very thankful for my loyal readers! I love you all!

Enjoy!

~BB

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter Four

It was two days after Christmas. Mrs. Hudson had offered to make me tea with her new set about a hundred times, but I had no appetite to eat or drink anything. I had gone to see my psychiatrist and he told me that I should start taking m anti-depressants three times a day instead of two. Great.

I woke up this morning with the urge to do something. For the past two days, I'd done nothing at all. I hadn't even left my bedroom, but today I found myself bored.

That was when I got a call from Greg.

“Hello?” I asked. I wondered why he was calling. He never called me. After Sherlock died, we lost touch almost completely.

“John, it’s Greg,” he said.

“Yes, I’m aware. Is there something you need?” I wondered out loud, not hiding the confusion from my voice.

“Well, you’re the new 'World's Only Consulting Detective', right? I’ve got a case,” he informed me.

I sighed, ”Greg, I’m not Sherlock. I can't do what he did.”

“If he did..well. Nevermind. I know you aren't him…but we need someone. You were an arm Doctor, though. You saw some ugly stuff, made some diagnoses. Well pay you,” he said.

I thought about it for a moment.

“Fine. What is it that’s happened?” I asked finally. I didn't like to change my mind only because of the money, but I was out of my depths without Sherlock's financial aid. It was no secret that he had been from a wealthy family.

“There’s been a murder. No blood. Nothing left at the crime except the body. No finger prints. All I’m asking you to do is examine the body and tell me what you see,” Greg explained.

“I’ll give it a shot. Where?” I asked.

“Near the Gherkin building, in an alley,” he told me. "You'll know it when you see it."

“Okay, I’ll be there in ten minutes,” I agreed reluctantly.

I hung up the phone and rested my head back on the chair.

If it wasn’t enough to miss him, I would have to do his job too. At least I would have the money I needed to pay what was left of the rent that the money from the envelope didn’t cover.

I pushed up on the chair to a standing position. Taking my jacket off the hook on the back of the door, I called to Mrs. Hudson, “Mrs. Hudson, I’m going out. Do you need anything?”

“No, thank you, John,” she called back. "Where are you going?"

"Just...out," I said. I'm not sure why I didn't just tell her that I was helping Scotland yard with a case. Maybe it just hurt to much to admit that I was taking his place.

I shrugged my jacket onto my shoulders and walked out into the cold. I took a step to the edge of the street and held out my hand to hail a cab. When one came wheeling around the corner, I waved to let them know that I needed their service.