24. Happy Birthday, Raccoon.

Chapter Twenty-Four

“And then, the Wolf appeared behind him and boom!” we all jumped, “bit the man’s head off!” Jordan finished and I grimaced.

“I thought you said the monster was a vampire,” Nadia frowned and we all came to the realization she was right.

Jordan laughed nervously, “Well… it was a… vampirish wolf?”

“You suck, man.” Shane shook his head, chuckling. Well, Jordan was good at making jokes but he sucked at story-telling. We were sitting on chunks of wood, circling a bonfire in the woods.

“You didn’t even scare Jason,” Helen chimed in, pointing my best friend who was sitting next to me.

“What’s that supposed to mean?” Jason sounded offended.

Helen shrugged, “You’re a chicken and we all know it.”

“Uhhh,” Shane teased, “Helen: one, Jason: zero!”

Jason looked dumbfounded. It seemed like he couldn’t believe Helen was messing with him. I really liked the way she was acting. She’d been ignoring Jason for a couple days, just giving him nasty remarks and such. In my opinion, he deserved it. Helen had been after him for so long, taking everything from him, even his indecision. It was time for her to man up and make him realize what he was losing.

Jason glared at Helen openly but there was something more in his eyes. Was that anger or lust? Or angry lust? I had no idea.

Lau, Jordan and Shane sat across us. Nadia at one side and Nash at the other to complete the circle. Cold wind blew upon us and I shivered. I was starting to think going out here wasn’t the best idea.

Chatting with my friends and hearing Jordan’s ridiculous scary stories had kept my mind off things but as soon as he finished his story and everyone started talking around and laughing, my thoughts were back on him.

Evan.

I was angry at him, heck, I was furious. I’d managed not to let it show to my friends but my anger was there within me, palpitating. The thought of him and Jane alone in the cabin left a bitter taste in my mouth. I clenched my fists at my sides. Why? How could he do this to me? My birthday was merely one hour away since it was already past ten. I realized I was not only angry, I was sad. He hadn’t forgiven me about the Shane incident. I’d thought we were over that but I was wrong. Why did he come back to me if he hadn’t forgiven me? That wasn’t fair for neither of us. I understood him, I truly did. I understood his jealousy and his anger. However, my mistakes didn’t justify his hurting words.

Was this how everything was going to be with him? Every time he was angry, he would lash out and hurt me? Evan’s cold side was something I wouldn’t get used to. There was so much I could take. I loved him more than anything but that didn’t mean I would stand and take it every time he wanted to hurt me. I wasn’t strong enough to cope with that.

Well, maybe I'll kiss Jane out pity. That's trending nowadays, isn't it?

My heart ached as I remembered his words. How could he say that? Would he do it? Would he kiss her to get even? I let out a long breath, trying not to picture the scene inside my head. There was also that text from the unknown person. Was Evan lying about Jane? Did they have something going on?

“Hello? Are you in there?” Nadia shook a plastic glass in front of me.

“Yeah,” I pretended a smile and I realized everyone was staring at me.

“Where were you? That was one, long space out,” Jason commented next to me.

“I was just thinking about how cool this place is,” I lied for the sake of them. They had planned this for me, for me to enjoy and not sniffle around for Evan.