The Dark Place - Chapter Fourteen

Chapter Fourteen.

1

After breakfast Mrs. Hughes watched father and daughter wash up together and found it hard to believe that they were the same two people she had spent the last two days with. She was happy for the child but she couldn't help wondering how long this bright patch would last. Could Mr. Moon have really been transformed into the perfect father over night? The old woman doubted it but the scene that was played out in front of her told another story. The man spoke softly and smiled while the little girl giggled; her eyes never leaving her father's face.

Mrs. Hughes lifted herself from her chair and walked on stiff legs towards the garden door. She rubbed the small of her back and gave a slight grimace.

"Mrs Hughes, are you okay?" asked Tamicka's father.

"Don't worry about me," she said, turning to look at him. "Just my back giving me jip, that's all."

Tamicka dried her hands on a tea towel, walked over to Mrs. Hughes and hugged her tight around the waist sending another shot of pain through the housekeeper's back. "I think that you work too hard," said Tamicka.

Mrs. Hughes allowed the child to take her hand and guide her back to the kitchen table.

"I think Tammie may be right Mrs. Hughes," said Mr. Moon. He filled the kettle and put it on the gas hob. "You just relax and I'll get you some coffee."

"Coffee! I don't think so young man," said Mrs. Hughes. "I'd sooner have a nice cup of tea if you don't mind."

"Okay, one cup of tea coming right up."

"Its okay daddy, I'll do it," smiled the little girl as she ran over to the cupboard where the cups were kept. "I know how she likes it."

"All right Bunny, you go ahead." The young man smiled as he joined Mrs. Hughes at the table. "Well it looks like you get to be looked after today."

"Daddy," said Tamicka as she spooned tealeaves into the largest teapot, "is it okay if I use the phone?"

"Sorry sweetheart, they haven't connected our landline yet."

"And there's no mobile signal out here because of all the trees." Mrs. Hughes added.

"Who did you want to call anyway?" asked the young man

"Penny said that she was going to come over today and I just wanted to know... well it doesn't matter now" The little girl didn't turn to face them when she spoke.

"Penny?"

"That would be Mrs. Stephens' daughter," Mrs. Hughes interrupted. She watched Tamicka lift the heavy kettle from the hob with both hands.

Mr. Moon got to his feet and made his way over to her. "Here Bunny, let me give you a hand with that."

"I'm fine daddy; you go and sit down with Mrs. Hughes."

The old woman smiled and kept a careful watch as the young girl started to pour the water into the earthenware pot and her father made his way back over to the table.

"I was thinking of going into town today to pick up some provisions," she said, turning her attention to the man for a moment before focusing on the girl again.

"If you can wait until after lunch I'll give you a lift," said Mr. Moon. "I have to do a little work on the book first but it would give Bunny and I a chance to get our bearings around here."

"Hey daddy, that would be so cool," said Tamicka as she placed the tea-tray on the table next to Mrs. Hughes and poured tea into one of the cups.

"Fine then, after lunch it is," said the old housekeeper. She took the cup that the girl handed her and had a sip of the refreshing liquid. "Just the way I like it," she sighed. She saw Tamicka smile and blush as the little girl poured tea into the other two cups. Looks like maybe things have changed for the better around here, she thought to herself as she took another sip.