Epilogue

• Dedicated to Credits to Sasha Grish and Katie Hennessy for the banner and trailer :)

Epilogue

Familiars, Hellions and masters stood aside to make a way for me. In their eyes were questions I would no longer hear or answer. As I stepped toward the entryway, I took them all in and tried to recall the good times we had before everything turned into psycho-chaotic.

It was weird, walking a long isle like this while everyone was watching. Instead of walking toward my groom, I was heading for my demise.

For the last time, I linked with Vincent’s mind. If he couldn’t hear me now, maybe at least someday he would remember me and the last things I said to him.

Hey, Vincent? I’m late again, aren’t I? I know, you’re going to get mad at me so… I’m sorry. I’m sorry because I’m not going to be there for you anymore. And thank you for not giving up on me. I hate to say it, but it was actually fun being your familiar.

As I climbed the steps, they began hauling Vincent and the others to Vladimir’s group.

I couldn’t take my eyes off Vincent. I was wishing he would look at me one last time, but he just fell lifelessly into Vladimir’s arms.

As soon as Vladimir and Kyoshiro’s familiars had taken Vincent and the others back into their little circle of defense, two white-robed familiars held my arms behind me.

I didn’t fight back. Instead, I spared Vincent one last glance. His arm was slung over Amyr’s shoulder. Vladimir placed a hand over Vincent’s injuries and they began to glow green then blue to white—Rosario’s healing ability.

I remembered Cairo mentioning before we fled from Halo that when Pilgrim lent a part of his soul to Alessandra, he did it because once the curse is fulfilled, he could assimilate the soul’s abilities as his own. I wouldn’t be a surprised that the same went for his sons.

Rosario left Vladimir a parting gift after all. I wondered what I would leave Vincent with when I’m gone.

Don’t blame yourself, I said. I didn’t do this for you. I did this for me. Because I care for you.

Just then, Vincent’s eyes fluttered open and as if he knew right where I was, he looked at me. And he said, So do I.

That was unexpected. I never thought I would actually hear him say that.

The corner of my lips pulled up involuntarily. We had some good times, didn’t we Vincent?

Don’t say it like you’re saying goodbye. His eyes widened as far as the swollen lids would allow.

If only he wasn’t broken in every way imaginable, I was sure he would be doing a mad dash to me and waging an all-out war to the rest of the world. He would sweep me off my feet and on his white stallion we would ride into the sunset. Or so I wished.

I am saying goodbye, I told him in my most soothing mental voice.

It was strange. I was captured by the vilest immortals I had ever met. In a few, I might be delivered to Pilgrim Reaper who would suck my soul and use it to destroy the world. Or worse, I could be handed to Hector and spend the rest of my eternity being poked on with needles inside a glass cage. Yet, I wasn’t scared.

For once, I understood what Rosario was trying to tell me. She knew it was hard, but I needed to accept my fate. That although, there are people I had learned to care about, I had to leave them. I had to accept that in order to make things right, I had to make sacrifices.

This was acceptance.

You can’t! Vincent’s voice shook, enough to break my heart in a hundred different ways. J-just you wait. Just a few seconds. That’s all I need and—