Thursday, December 25 {EDITED}

On Christmas morning, Holly woke with first light. After dressing for church, her feet flew down the steps as she rushed toward the dining room in a manner most undignified. She burst into the room to find David sitting alone at the table. At her entrance he lept to his feet, and with several great strides across the ornate rug, he met her on the other side of the table.

Holly watched the smile spread over his face. Last night seemed like a dream and as she stood before him, butterflies churned in her stomach. She hardly knew how to proceed in circumstances such as these, but she knew by the tingling of her fingers she wanted to reach out and stroke the stubble that dusted David's jaw.

"I got your letter," she said. "Both of them."

"So you matched the writing?"

Holly nodded, smiling so wide her cheeks hurt. She probably looked foolish to behold, but she didn't mind. David smiled too and took a step toward Holly. He placed both of his strong hands on her face to draw it up towards his.

Holly's stomach somersaulted and she could feel her heart start to race. With breath coming fast, she waited in agony as David slowly lowered his lips to hers. At this, she wrapped her arms around David's waist, pulling him close so that she could feel the warmth of him. The kiss deepened as they sank into each other. David's tongue flicked over Holly's lip and caught her by surprise. The gentle sensation sent a tremor through her limbs, as if every nerve ending in her body surged with fire.

Holly wanted to go on kissing David until she had no more breath, but the heavy footfall of boots in the hall forced them apart. Colonel Ambrose entered as David pulled out a chair for Holly, but didn't reassume his seat.

"Have you finished breakfast, Mr. Bishop? Can I offer you this morning's paper?" Colonel Ambrose offered, taking his place at the head of the table.

"Yes and no," David replied. "I must head out early. I have to be at the church to prepare for the service."

"But you will have Christmas dinner with us after?" Colonel Ambrose asked, though it sounded more like a command.

David smiled. "Of course." He bowed politely to Holly and her father before making his leave.

Holly tucked into her plate of eggs, and drifted off into her own thoughts. Her fingers still tingled and the warmth of David's hand still ghosted on her cheek.

"You're all smiles, this morning," Colonel Ambrose remarked.

Holly looked down at the lukewarm coffee in her hands only to realize she had been grinning at it like an insane woman rather than drinking it.

"Oh," she chuckled. "I suppose I am."

"I'm glad you came around to Mr. Bishop."

Holly gave him a reproachful look. "David told me about your conversation."

Colonel Ambrose looked confused.

"Where you told him that he had your blessing to court me?" Holly reminded him.

Colonel Ambrose nodded and smiled. "Oh yes. Once I saw an honorable man was after your heart, I wanted to encourage him any way I could. It wasn't long after that conversation that I put that money in your dowry."

Holly's mouth fell open. "But how did you know I would fall for David?"

"I didn't, but I've always trusted your judgement."

"Oh," she said, pushing her food around her plate. "You could have told me he was interested."

"I could have, but I wanted it to be your decision. I know how much you value my opinion. I'm not so sure about your mother's opinion," he mused. "I doubt she would have chosen David for you, but she's all for the idea now.