chapter xxi

Chapter 20

They Don’t Believe In Us

“Hey Hope, have you seen Gee?” Mikeys worried voice echoed down the phone, immediately making my stomach churn; something was wrong.

“N-no? He texted me yesterday night… it went wrong.” I trailed off, everything clicking together in my head.

“Hope, Hope? What went wrong?” Mikey asked a hint of despair in his voice.

“He was going to ask Lindsey to his girlfriend.”

“A-and she said no?”

“I guess so…”

“Oh god, poor Gerard.” Mikey voiced my thoughts.

“Mikey, I’m coming to your house-”

“What?” He intervened, but I had already hung up, intent on speaking to Mikey in person about this.

I almost chuckled at the sound of his clueless voice.

Almost.

Throwing the phone down and pulling on a hoodie I leapt out of the door.

Only mere minutes later I was knocking on Mikey door, hoping – although it was ridiculous – that Gerard would be home.

“Hey Hope,” He greeted me with a little wave, deciding against being polite I wrapped my arms around him in a tight embrace.

“Will he be okay?” My babyish side coming out as I clung to his skinny frame, which was barely supporting my weeping self.

I noticed tear tracks running down Mikeys little face,

“Do your parents know about Gerard?” I asked, unwrapping myself from the uncomfortable hug – note to self, never cling onto people for dear life if they are a pile of skin and bones… it hurts, god dammit elbows.

“No!” He said atrociously, “They would freak, I don’t want Gerard getting in trouble, I thought, well, that we could try and search for him before making It serious?” I nodded at Mikeys suggestion.

“Good thinking Unicorn Boy.” I smiled, “We need to get help searching, I’ll contact Frank and Jamia, and you handle Ray, Bree and Alicia?” He nodded, and immediately we were raping the buttons on our phones, fumbling to contact our friends as quickly as possible.

Oh the wonders of knowing people that care, I thought as Frank picked up immediately.

“This better be good, I’m with Jamia.” He laughed, and I could almost imagine him winking.

“It’s Gerard.” I stated.

“What’s Geetard gone and done now?” I informed Frank of what had happened quickly banishing any sense on humour he had.

“Jamia and I will be there soon.” I nodded – though he couldn’t see it – and closed my phone down, noting that Mikey had already seemed to phone Ray, Bree and Alicia.

“Now we wait.” I stated into the silence, finding it weird when I settled down on the chair without Gerard near me.

“M-mom,” Mikey cleared his throat, making his voice clearer, “Mom did say when she got home last night she heard Gerard in the bathroom and a really loud crash… a-and that the Jack and Vodka was gone. Then she said Gerard went out the house, she thought he was going to yours or something?” Mikey chewed on his lip dangerously.

“He never usually drinks, does he?” Mikey shook his head, “Not much a least,” I continued, “and he did text me because I suggested we should meet up, after the Lindsey thing – and he said maybe later, but he never got back to me, I guessed he was okay.” I informed Mikey, hearing a ring at the door I guessed it was Frank, as he only lived down the road from here.