Chapter 28: Chase Hayden aka The King Of Mixed Signals

Eeeek, we're finally on the 28th chapter! Gosh, I can't wait to finish this book. And yeah, I posted the prologue of a Luke Hemmings fan fiction I wrote. Please go check on that guys, it would make me real happy :)

Chapter 28: Chase Hayden aka The King Of Mixed Signals

A note tucked inside my locker was the last thing I expected to see that afternoon when I was about to deposit my books.

It was easily noticeable, what with it being bright yellow, and my name written on it.

I looked around, hoping to see who it could possibly be from. A few students were milling back and forth but I doubted it was from any of them. Reluctantly, I unfolded the note and was surprised to see the message scribbled on it. It was written sloppily, possibly a guy's penmanship, and had the words: Hi, I don't know if anyone has told you this but you have the most beautiful smile in the world.

I was speechless. It was a love letter, well, sort of.

Suddenly, a blush crept onto my face. Whoever made this note was incredibly sweet. I only wished I know who it was from.

When I got inside my next class, a few girls including Ashley were gushing and giggling about something I had no idea about. Placing my bag on top of my desk, I nudged Gwen who was sitting beside me, and asked her about it.

"Hey," I told her in a hushed tone. "What are they acting so giddily about?"

"You haven't heard?" she asked, her eyes widening.

"Obviously, no." I shrugged.

"Well," she said. "After lunch, news about Chase Hayden planning to ask someone out for homecoming spread like plague."

Oh.

Chase. Chase Hayden - the king of mixed signals. My stomach immediately churned at the thought of him. He's been constantly occupying my mind eversince that night on the rooftop. It's been a few weeks since I broke up with Zach but I still had feelings of apprehension about falling for another person again. I was still caught up with the heartbreak that I was afraid of opening my heart for any romantic possibility.

"Why's that a big deal?" I asked Gwen, trying to sound indifferent to the matter.

"First off, he's Chase Hayden. Anything about him is important in this school. You should've known that already," she answered. "But the real deal here is the fact that Chase Hayden is bringing someone to homecoming. "

"Okay," I said, nodding. "But I still don't understand why it's a big deal. I mean, it's not like he hasn't brought anyone to homecoming these past few years."

Gwen rolled her eyes. "That's exactly the point. He hasn't brought anyone to homecoming before."

It was my turn to be surprised. "Seriously?"

"Yep," Gwen answered. "That's why people are fussing about it. No, actually they're fussing over the girl Chase is going to ask out."

That moment, a loud squeal broke through the room. Gwen and I simultaneously whipped our heads towards the source of the noise and instantly spotted Ashley and her gang fanning themselves like the overdramatic divas they were.

"Oh my gosh, it has gotta be me," Queen Beeyotch herself said, sounding a bit too confident for her own good. "I mean, who can actually be prettier than me? I'm the most popular girl in this school, I'm the only one perfect enough for Chase."

Her cronies nodded like lost puppies, looking like they were forced out of their will to concede to her demands. Ashley flashed her megawatt smile, almost blinding me in the process.