Prelude

Oftentimes Valeriana had received countless valuable advice from her father. Everything that happened to her as a child seemed to cause him to magically open a new topic for discussion. Matters regarding how to deal with problems, the way one should react should an unexpected situation arise, up to the uncanniest things about cars.

The girl could close her eyes and dream about his words--the way he spoke them with a vague tone and knowing eyes. He was a simple man with a colorful soul, far-sighted thoughts, and a heart the size of the universe. In fact, despite how dire situations always looked, he could somehow manage to get something positive out of it--not to the point of being naive and ignorant of course. It was almost as though there was always something good around the corner. The only thing they had to do was walk through the obstacles and obtain it themselves.

Nevertheless, he constantly carried himself with an air of mystery. At times, there were sides of him she did not recognize as a part of her father. He made everything impossible possible, never minding how hard it could have been.

At one time, they were sitting inside the car in a cool winter day after Janus had just picked up Valeriana from school. A similar scenario to the current sight before her riding the carriage back to the port.

Yes, the man complained a lot about him hating cars, but he did know how to drive one when the need arose. In times like this, his stubbornness would only cause nuisances.

With the temperature outside? Valeriana doubt he would last long in his bike.

It had been a rough day then. The fifth-ranker had made plans with her small circle of friends they would meet up in a nearby music store called Rhythmic Coord but the recent snowstorm postponed the said hangout. Needless to say, the younger Valeriana felt bummed out and was in no mood at all.

Janus noticed her disappointment and patted her on the shoulder. "There's always a next time, baby girl." He told her reassuringly. "Stop glaring at people's cars, though. You'll burn holes right through them."

"Might be interesting if that happens," Valeriana randomly quipped. She was leaning against the windows that time, her chin resting lazily on her fists.

"That's pretty random of you," he commented with a lopsided grin.

"I wonder who I took after?" she replied with a smile. "You don't like driving."

"Oh, I hate it," he said, laughing.

With that, he was able to push aside her bad mood.

-*-

The memory drowned her in a reminiscing state until such time that her seatmate spoke and brought her out of her daydream. Snowy days made her feel nostalgic like always.

"You look strangely contented," said Corvan after hesitantly biting into the sweet cakes she brought with her for their snowy-ride trip. "And I thought you hated sweets."

"I need sugar once in a while." She answered with her trademark smile. "And this isn't too strong. I could taste the fruits more if I focus. Besides, as long as I have milk, I can handle any kind of sweets."

"As long as you have milk, huh?" He huffed, mist puffing through his nose. "That doesn't explain the look on your face though."

"Just a memory."

"Are all your good memories in winter's day? What about summer?"

"Summer's nice too." She chirped. A few moments later, she practically jumped out of her seat and looked excitedly at Corvan. "Ooh! What about Arlandia? It's called the Land of Summer, right?"

"What about it?" The Arlandian prince apathetically asked.

"Can I come visit?"

For a moment, the first-ranker looked absolutely stunned before putting up a straight face and giving Valeriana the cold shoulder.

"No."