Chapter 22

Not too entertaining, but you meet someone new. :)

Chapter 22

“Brandy!” I held in a complaint as I heard Master Carthwrite's voice echo through the mansion. I wanted nothing more than to leave, but part of me was curious about what he wanted. He never called out for me like that before. Usually Gretta, Patrica, or one of the guards came to get me. “Brandy?!” He yelled again, more demanding this time.

“Coming, Master Carthwrite.” I yelled back. “I'll be back in a minute.” I called to Patrica as I ran up the spiral stairs. There was no way I wanted to give Master Carthwrite another reason to punish me.

“Brandy!” I sprinted down the hall.

“Yes, Master?” It came out in heaved breaths. I swore, I could see a small smile form on his face as he watched me attempt to get my breathing under control.

“I need you to take this over to Mr. Mason's immediately. I meant to take it to him the other day, but it just didn't get done.” He shoved the folder in the crook of my arm and turned me around, ushering me out the door. “Take Callum and Henry with you.” With that being said, he slammed the door shut, letting it barely miss hitting me in the back.

Pulling the folder out of my arm, I stared at it angrily. Another thing to deliver to Mr. Mason.

“I hate that man.” I grumbled while making my way down the hallway. Halfway down, Master Carthwrite's door opened and his head poked out.

“Remember, you come back injured, they will receive severe punishment.” With a creepy smile on his face, he closed the door once again.

Gulping, I sent a silent prayer, hoping nothing would happen to any of us.

As I made my way down the stairs, I remembered what I had wanted to do. I let out a sigh, knowing it would probably have to wait till tomorrow. It was already almost five, by the time I'd get back, it'd be at least seven.

“What did Master Carthwrite want?” Patrica asked, eying the folder tucked back under my arm.

“I'm sorry, Patrica. It's gonna have to wait until tomorrow. I have to run an errand for Master Carthwrite.”

“Who's it for?” I'm sure that she could tell I wasn't happy about whoever it was by my slightly grave facial expression.

“Mr. Mason.” Her eyes widened while she nodded her head in understanding.

“I wish you all the best.” She offered sourly.

“Thanks.” I replied with the same amount of bitterness. “Could you call Lyle to bring the car around?”

“Sure.” I offered another thanks and set off to the Callum's room. Pausing at his door, I knocked two times and waited for an answer. Moments later, his door opened. For a moment, I thought it was a different person. His raven black hair hung down his shoulders, making him look younger. His grey eyes met mine, with a confused look.

“Hey Bran-what happened to your face?” His hand grabbed my chin, turning my face to the side to get a better look at my cheek.

“Master Carthwrite. I guess it was my fault though.” He raised an eyebrow, “really, I slept in by accident. I should've known better.”

“Sounds like something he'd punish you for. Does it hurt?” I shook my head.

“Nah, it did at first, but now it's a little bit numb. Anyway, Master Carthwrite is making me take something to Mr. Mason's. I'm supposed to bring you and Henry with me.”

“I wonder why he's only sending two of us?” Puzzled, he rubbed the back of his neck before pulling his hair into a ponytail.

“Not sure, but I think I rather not know. I'll go get Henry and you can meet us at the front. Patrica's getting Lyle to bring the car out front.”