Chapter 16

Arabella

"Marry me," he said.

I gasped in shock. "What?"

"Marry me," he said again.

My eyes grew wide, and I pushed him away, so I can get off the balustrade.

I stood there confused. I don't understand. He wants us to get married? Does this mean, he loves me?

I shook my head, that's not possible. He's still in love with his deceased wife.

"Arabella, I can see the wheels turning in your head..." He said.

"You think? You...you just asked me to marry you!" I said in astonishment.

"Listen. I apologize. I didn't exactly plan this to happen this way."

He didn't plan this to happen this way? What the hell does that mean? "What?"

"What?" He retorted.

"You said, you didn't plan it to happen this way."

"Yes, and?"

"So that means, this wasn't just a spur of the moment thing. You planned this ahead of time."

"Yes, what's your point?"

"The point is, this is so...so..." I said trying not to say the F word.

He looked amused. "Go on say it," he said, as if knowing what I didn't want to say.

I shook my head.

"Say it, Arabella," he demanded.

I shook my head again, "No."

"Say it!" He demanded more forcefully this time.

"Ok fine, this is so fucked up!" I hiss.

He laughed.

"What the hell is funny?"

"That wasn't so hard was it?"

I glare at him. "I'm glad you find all of this amusing," I said.

"You're not just a feisty firecracker, you also have a temper," he said.

"Look, can we focus on what matters. Why would you ask me to marry you? You barely know me. Besides, all we seem to do is fight and argue. Why in the hell would you want to marry me?"

"Because you're good to Lia. You love her like your own. You make her happy, and she loves you..."

"Oh, I get it. This is about Lia," I said interrupting him. I can't help feel a stab of disappointment. All he mentioned was Lia. This was all about Lia.

"Well, yes. Look, Lia needs a mother, and she already sees you as her mother. This is the perfect arrangement. You don't have to work anymore, I'll just give you the money, to start your own daycare and education centre. I'll provide everything you need. You don't have to work so much, because you'll have to be with Lia, so we'll hire the best for the daycare centre..."

"Stop. Stop right there. What do you think of me? You think you can buy me? Entice me, by dangling my dream right in front of me?" I asked angrily.

"Look, I don't understand why you're angry. You said you love Lia, and you will do what's best for her. This is what's best for her."

"Do you honestly think this is what's best for her? For someone so smart, you can really be a stupid jerk."I bit out.

He glared at me.

I glare back at him. "Yes, I promised to do what's best for her, but I also promised to protect her. How is this good for her? A marriage of convenience? She deserves a loving family...a devoted parents who will not only love her, but who will love
each other. Parents who will teach her unconditional love. Parents who will provide stability. How do you think she would feel when she finds out that her father married someone, so that he can provide a substitute mom for her?"