C h a p t e r E i g h t

© Amber Kalkes 2015

Song: "Pyramid Song" By Radiohead

C h a p t e r E i g h t >

Colton frowns in confusion as he feels her nerves. She hasn’t said a word since they started heading this way and it’s starting to worry him. He’s not sure if she’s nervous because of him or because of the celebrations they’re heading to. Either way he squeezes the hand in his a bit tighter as they walk through the woods.  

Noticing her relax a bit he smiles to himself. He didn’t know it was going to be like this. He wasn’t lying to her before when he didn’t come here for a mate. He didn’t even think fate would come up with a woman who would have the ability to put up with him. Seeing her though, it changed everything.

Despite the obvious reason being how beautiful she is, Colton finds himself drawn to her personality, at least what he’s seen of it so far. Brave, that was the first characteristic he added to the list. Colton has taken part in the run the past two years and never has he seen a captured female actually try to fight her mate off. At first his wolf thought it was exciting but then she snapped at him. That was what brought him out of his hunting mode and back into himself.

The second characteristic he’s been able to figure out is intelligent. She can verbally spar with him on a level that most people he’s been around can’t. She immediately called him out on his shit about the acceptance. In all honesty he just wanted to claim her as soon as he saw her but the hesitance in her eyes told him that the brute approach wasn’t the way to go. He needed to slowly build up to that, earn her trust and eventually the right to mark her.

The final characteristic he’s been able to collect has been the one he finds he likes most about her. Rae Applebee is strong. He can see it in the way she carries herself, the way she speaks and even the weariness in her eyes. Colton has always tried to be an observant kind of guy and being in the position he’s in its served him well. So as he’s watched her he can see it clear as day, his mate is as strong as they come.

The details are obvious lost to him. He doesn’t know why she’s had to be so strong. He doesn’t know why she keeps sneaking looks at him like she’s afraid he’ll disappear. He also doesn’t know why the closer they get to the clearing her hands are shaking.

But he has every intention of finding out.

“Can we take a quick detour?” She asks without looking at him.

“Sure.” Colton agrees with a frown.

Turning direction she leads him towards the east. He catches the faded trail of her scent and when they come up to a tree nearby he can’t stop himself from laughing. Rae crouches down next to a tree before picking up some mud-covered shoes in her hand. He doesn’t have to ask to know those are hers, her blush says it all.

“Okay, we go now.” She says quietly.

“Rae?”

“Yeah?”

“Is there something wrong?”

Her wide brown eyes move to meet his making his heart speed up in his chest. He can feel it the most when she looks him in the eyes, the pull to her nearly overwhelming. Stepping towards her he cups her cheek in his palm, letting his fingers embed themselves in her honey blonde hair. He watches her close her eyes before leaning into his touch making him smile softly at her. He likes this, he decides, he likes that he can give her comfort.