Chapter 34

*Zayn's POV*

Seven in the damn morning. We got off the plane at seven in the morning in Bradford, and I was tired. I did not sleep well on that stupid plane; however, Kylie slept the whole time curled into my chest like a baby.

"Coffee." She mumbled as we passed a Starbucks, letting go of my hand and dragging her feet over there.

"Two venti white chocolate mochas please." She said quietly, yawning.

"$9.42 please."

"Babe, I only have a five. Money please." She called over to where I was standing, and I tossed her my wallet. She took a ten out, handing it to the guy at the counter. She put her five in it and threw it back but it landed two feet away. I walked over, grabbing it off the ground.

Kylie handed me my coffee, and I grabbed her hand again, intertwining her fingers with mine. Kylie's iPhone rang in her pocket and she picked it up.

"Yeah mom, we're getting our bags. You're outside? See you in a few. Love you."

I hauled our bags off the spinning claim, mine black and Kylie's purple. Rolling them, each in one hand, we walked outside to the car pick up.

Her mom's blue Mazda CX-9 was across the lot and we walked over, me climbing into the back seat and Kylie in the passenger seat.

"Hi, Ky! I missed you so much! Oh, and Zayn! How are you guys? I'm so glad you're HOME!" Ashley Carter had always been energetic.  

"Hi, mom." Kylie leaned over and gave her a hug. "Where's Amber?" Amber was her little 2 year old half-sister that her mom had with her step dad.

"At home with Jim."

Her mom pulled out, driving the 25 minutes back home. We made small talk, catching up and listening to a talk show on the radio.

"One Direction's Zayn Malik getting married?" Kylie turned up the volume on the radio dial and laughed.

"Zayn's girlfriend has been seen at the concert last night wearing a ring on her left hand- are they engaged?" Ashley stared at Kylie's hand, and gasped.

"Kylie! Why didn't you tell me? You guys are so young, and-"

"MOM. We're not engaged. It's just a promise ring. But isn't it beautiful?" Kylie smiled, holding her hand up. Her mother glanced at it before turning her eyes back to the road.

"Zayn, you better treat her right." Ashley said as she pulled into the familiar driveway. I could see my house, only 3 houses away down the street. I was staying in the Carter house for the first night because my family had gone out of town and wouldn't be back until tomorrow. Of course, I could go home and get things or stay there if I wanted, but nobody was home.

"Mom, he always has." Kylie rolled her eyes, her cheeks pink.

"It's the first time I've met him as your boyfriend and not just Zayn. He needs to know the rules. No unprotected sex."

"MOM!" Kylie exclaimed, incredibly embarrassed. I let out a low laugh.

"Something funny, Zayn?" She raised her eyebrow, smirking at me. It was crazy how much she looked like Kylie- in 25 years; this was exactly what Kylie would look like.

"No, ma'am." I grinned back at her, taking the bags out of her hands.

"Cheeky." She muttered, hitting me in the head.

"I missed you." I gave Kylie's mom, who has always been my second mother, a hug.

"I missed you too, Zayn. You're like the son I never had." We walked inside, where Kylie was already sprawled on the floor of the living room, playing with Amber.