C h a p t e r F i v e

© Amber Kalkes 2015

Song: "Cigarette Daydream" By Cage The Elephant

C h a p t e r F i v e >

Hearing the bell on the diner’s door ding Rae lifts her head with a smile plastered on her face ready to greet. It falls quickly though when sees its just Graham strolling into the building looking too mischievous to be up to any good. Continuing to wipe down the table of the family that just left she tries to ignore him. Graham being Graham though won’t let that happen without a fight.

“Hey, sweetie buns.” He greets with a huge grin.

Rae him an unamused look, “Sweetie buns?”

“Don’t like it?”

“Graham I like zero of the ridiculous pet names you use on me. What made you think ‘sweetie buns’ was going to be a hit?”

He shrugs, “I’m just naturally optimistic I guess.”

“And incredibly resilient.” She adds with a little smile. “So what can I help you with? You look to be up to no good again.”

“I’m just here to remind you we have the pack meeting tonight.”

Rae lets out groan as she grips the sides of the tub with dirty dishes. “Shit. When is it again?”

“In an hour. I came here to make sure you weren’t late. Alpha Kendrick is short tempered these days.”

“Yeah, Alpha Julie said one of the babies has colic. I'm not sure which one she was talking about though. Maybe the boy. I don't know, she was talking a lot.” When Rae comes out of her babbling she notices Graham's blank look making her elaborate. “Gas. the babies are gassy, makes them cry a lot.”

Graham scoffs and waves a hand at her, “I knew that.”

“Sure you did.”

“I did!”

“Sure.” She smiles. “So what else are you up to? The look on your face tells me you have something else up your sleeve.”

“Me?” He asks pointing to his overly innocent face. “I’m not sure I like you accusing me without evidence Miss Applebee.”

“Well I don’t like you putting me in the middle of your shenanigans. So spill the beans or leave me to work in peace, Mr. Jones.”

He gives her a huge white toothed grin, “You know you love it but since I’m feeling nice today I’ll let you in on my little secret. I think I met my mate today.”

Rae lifts stops mid-glass lift to look at him in surprise. “You think?”

“Well…I mean, I think she’s it.”

“Your wolf didn’t tell you?” She asks as her surprise fades into confusion.

Graham rubs the back of his neck, “Well…”

Rae brushes her hair behind her ears as straightens her body to sigh in his direction. “Graham, a wolf knows by their mate’s scent, their looks and even the way the speak. Everything calls to you and when you see your mate your wolf will go crazy with wanting to be near them. That’s how it works. Now did you feel any of that with this girl?”

“No.” He admits lowly before sighing heavily. “But she was so hot.”

Rae rolls her eyes as she grabs the tub of dirty dishes in her hand. “Then that’s your dick talking not your wolf.”