Interview with MichaelWhitehouse6

1. What inspired you to write?
My parents reading to me as a child made me fall in love with imagination. More than that, my father's ability to create new stories with such talent to captivate an audience encouraged a life-long fascination with storytelling within me. I spent much of my childhood writing stories, music, and little vignettes. I had my head in the clouds, and in many ways I still do, but I try to share my sense of wonder for the world with those who care to listen, and that is all thanks to my parents.

2) Books, movies, plays or poems?
I love all of them. I am particularly fond of short story collections, there is something intensely focused about them. A brilliant short story feels like a slice of a world tantalisingly out of reach. You want to know more, but the fact that you can't gives the story even more gravitas. 
I have an equal love for cinema, most specifically genre filmmaking. 

3) When naming your Characters, do you give any thought to the actual meaning?  
I'm inconsistent on this point. I tend to create names which seem to 'fit' the character by sound alone, but sometimes I will use a name for meaning. I think this is dangerous however, as an obvious name may give away a character's place or future within a story. Sometimes it can be too 'on the nose'.

4) If you could spend the day with one of your characters who would it be, where would you go and what would you do?
 I would have loved to have hidden in the forest of Ettrick and watched to see what would have happened to Frederick from 'Beneath the Garden' had he crossed paths with Herbert Solomon from 'The Melancholy of Herbert Solomon'. Although, I feel that I'm not quite finished with both of these characters yet, so perhaps in the future.

5) Are any of your characters inspired by actual people?
Many are. At least, parts of them are. The character from 'Bedtime' is essentially me, as the first two chapters of that story are based on experiences I had (most probably due to sleep paralysis, but you never know). Robert Francis in 'Off the Beaten Path' is based on one of my friends Stewart, who loves to cycle through the countryside.  In fact that whole story came about through a conversation with him combined with an unusual experience I had once in the Scottish wilderness.  

6) If you could publish one of your stories would you? Why so or why not?
It is my dream to be a professional author, so I would be happy to publish all of my work. I am self-publishing a collection of horror stories called 'Bedtime and Other Tales of Terror' shortly. There are a number of stories I have written personally for people, and while some of them are perhaps amongst my best, I would not be comfortable publishing them so readily.  

7) You overall write horror stories, would you every try something of the opposite gene? Like romance?  
I am not closed to any genre. I have written in most, but fantasy always tends to be where I am most comfortable (specifically horror and science fiction). I see genre writing and filmmaking as a brilliant way to entertain, but also to convey feelings, emotions, and beliefs without being too 'preachy' about it. For now I am trying to establish myself as a horror writer, so that is what I will be doing for the foreseeable future. I do enjoy writing mystery and detective stories as well though, so you may see some of them.  

8) What's your least favorite thing about writing?  
When I'm not writing fiction, I am working as a freelance writer. While it gives you the freedom to make your own schedule, it is also extremely lonely at times. I have a wonderful family, girlfriend, and friends, but my work takes up the majority of my time, day and night. Sitting in the one place punching away at a keyboard can be isolating. The one thing I miss more than anything is having work colleagues. In my previous jobs I worked with many different people and even years later, I am still adjusting to being on my own 95% of the time. Every job has its pros and cons though, and despite this I still love what I do.   

9. What's your favorite thing about writing?
I adore writing, but my favourite moment is when someone emails or comments on a story saying that it has affected them some how. It may sound vain, but receiving positive feedback from my readers is what spurs me on. It's one of the greatest feelings in the world, to know that what you created made an impact in some way. I plan out most of my stories, but they rarely end up as intended. I love those 'eureka' moments where a story takes a turn as you are writing which you never saw coming. Something which takes it to another level entirely. More than anything I just love to share how I feel about the world with people through my characters and stories.  

10. What writing tips could you give the readers? 
The number one tip I would give is to write what you would enjoy. Too many people write something and then assume everyone will love it, but if the story doesn't affect you as you write it, then it is hardly going to work for anyone else. When I write a horror story, it better scare me or I won't publish it. You are the best compass you have for knowing if something works, so use it! Above all else, be true to yourself.