Chapter Eight

A/N-- Guys, I checked my stats and the reads for these chapters are going down :( Please, comment, vote, and share my story if you like it. I need feedback desperatly if I'm going to keep writing. Thanks!

With shaking hands, I exited the bulding behind Josh after our first period class. Crap. I had never skipped class before in my life, and just the very idea of getting in trouble was making my heart pound. I just wanted to go back, read books, and survive until the bell rang so I could go watch Cally take her pregnancy test. But alas here I was, pacing behind Josh with my boot kicking up the color bunches of fall leaves. Finally, we reached Josh's Mini Cooper.

"What do you want?" I asked, leaning against his beautiful car. I sighed and looked down at my reflection in its shiny exterior. Damn. Josh was right, I was an ugly prude. Shaking off the feeling of sadness, I looked back up and saw Josh staring at me, unsure of what to say. Finally, he sighed and rolled his eyes like he was already exhausted with me.

"Look, I know you are some kind of miss goody two shoes--" I opened my mouth to protest, but he held up a hand "Save it. We both know it, there's no denying it. But look, I'm not going to cheat on you with that bitch Crystal. She's with my bro now, and I wouldn't get in the way of that. Plus, honestly, I don't want the possibility of two kids on my hands," Josh scoffed, looking down at his car as well. I looked down at my chipping mint nail polish nervously as a silence fell upon us. At last, I decided to speak.

"Um, okay. Is that all you wanted to tell me?" I asked. Josh finally looked up from the car, his hands balling into fists. He looked down after a moment, as if contimplating what he was to say next.

"Well, um, I was also wondering if you wanted to go on a date. Because if we are going to be stuck together, I at least need to educate you on how to raise my kid," he said. I scoffed.

"How romantic," I deadpanned. He looked up at me with a hurt look in his eyes that soon turned to anger. He pulled his keys from his pocket, jammed them into the car, and turned away from me.

"Well I don't care if you want to go, fine you can--"  I interrupted him before he could continue.

"No, it's fine! Yeesh, you need to calm down. I'll go with you," I said, my face turning bright red. Shit. What did I just do? Was I really going to let this arrogant, beautiful asshole take me out on a date? I fiddled with my new necklace, unsure of what to do or say-- even how to breathe. Josh came up beside me, placing a gentle hand on my cheek. I met his blue eyes and we paused for a moment. In that pause, I thought my heart was about to stop and I was almost sure he was going to kiss me. Unfortunately, though he pulled away and my mind raced. What just happened? Why did I want him to kiss me when he's so damn rude?

"Better get going," he said with a cheeky grin. I gasped. He did that on purpose!

Grumpy as my cat Lilac, I gave a slightl growl and slipped into the car. Wow. It was perfectly clean and smelled a lot like Josh-- this oceany yet musky scent that seemed to radiate off him like some alluring bait. I looked at him as he started the car.

"I can't just get in trouble though. I want to go to college. Maybe I could have my mom me in sick?" I asked. Josh snorted.

"Wow. Lame," he commented, shifting into gear. With an annoyed sigh, I pulled out my phone from my purse, dialing my mother's number. I thought we were about to start driving when Josh paused.

"Hey, is your seatbelt on?" he asked as he casually flicked on some music. I rolled my eyes.

"Now whose lame," I said sarcastically. Josh turned the music up, as if responding to my anger.

"Shut up and put on your damn seatbelt," he said. At this, he sped off down the street, fast enought that I did end up pulling on my seatbelt before I even got to call my mother.