CHAPTER 1: BEGINNING OF A GREAT LOVE STORY

She was one of the noblest women around, coming from a very prominent family. She was also quite beautiful and the holder of a considerable amount of wealth, being a prominent businesswoman.

To marry her would have been a great feat for any man, and indeed, quite a few of the most prominent and wealthy men in society had asked for her hand. Yet, she rejected them all; already being a widow, she had lost the desire to marry again.

Until he came into her life. He was young man of 25, and although he was also of a noble family, he was an orphan and was not a man of many means. He had made a meager living tending sheep in the hills surrounding the city. Yet, he had an impeccable moral character, and he was widely known as one of the most honest men around. That is what attracted her to him. She was looking for someone honest who could conduct business for her, as she - a woman in a fiercely patriarchal society - could not do it herself. So, he started working for her.

Upon his return from his first business trip, she asked about him from the servant she had dispatched to accompany him. The servant's report left her astonished: this young man was the kindest, gentlest soul he had ever encountered. Not once did he treat the servant harshly, a stark contrast to the norm among many others. But there was more to the tale that captivated her attention. 

The servant recounted a remarkable incident: as they journeyed through the scorching desert, a cloud had miraculously followed them, providing constant shade from the relentless sun. This extraordinary occurrence seemed to reflect the young man's blessed nature. Impressed by both his character and the divine signs that accompanied him, the businesswoman found herself deeply moved by her new employee.

Not only did this young man embody kindness and integrity, but he also revealed himself to be an astute businessman. He took his employer's merchandise, sold it, and with the profits bought more goods, which he then sold again, thus doubling the gains. This display of wisdom and diligence deeply impressed her. The embers of love in her heart, long extinguished were kindled anew. She found herself drawn to his character and capabilities, recognizing in him a rare blend of virtue and intelligence.  Resolute in her decision, she resolved to marry this exceptional young man, who was 15 years younger than her. 

After hearing about the young man's success in trading, the businesswoman was deeply moved and impressed. She desired to propose to him but was unsure how to express her thoughts. So, she sent one of her close friends, Nafisah bint Manbah, to approach him. Nafisah asked him if she could pose a personal question.

"Why are you not married yet?" she inquired.

"My living conditions and financial situation do not allow me to get married," he responded.

Nafisah then asked, "What if I could offer you a wife of nobility, beauty, and wealth? Would you be interested?"

He replied affirmatively, but when Nafisah mentioned her friend, the young employee chuckled in amazement.

"How could I marry her? She has turned down the most noble men in the city, much wealthier and more prominent than I, a poor shepherd," he said.

"Don't you worry," Nafisah reassured him. "I'll take care of it."

The young man discussed the matter with his uncles, who were pleased with the good news and began arranging the marriage for their blessed nephew.

Not long after, the wealthy businesswoman married her young employee. This union marked the beginning of one of the most loving, happiest, and sacred marriages in all of human history: that of Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) and Khadijah, the daughter of Khuwaylid. Their marriage became a cornerstone in Islamic history, not only because of the love and support they shared but also because of the profound impact it had on the early years of Muhammad's (peace be upon him) prophetic mission. Khadijah's (may Allah be pleased with her) unwavering support and belief in her husband's mission provided him with the strength and encouragement needed to carry forth his message.